1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TRUTH BUSTERS: Buyers (Sno Dawg) made by Western factory or not?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MLG, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I think I heard two dealers around here says that Sno Dawg plows are made at the same factory that makes Western plows . The one dealer claims Buyers can make them cheaper because they buy SO much metal and have the factory set up.

Myth or truth?
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I'm no authority, but I doubt it. Western is made by DD, and Snow Dogg is made by Buyers.
  3. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

No way no chance. Blow Dog copied Western after DD bought Buzzard.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

5. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

I've heard a lot of sales pitches but that one is the best so far!
  6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Haaaaa haaaaa thats a good one. Buyers can sell cheaper because they are a parent company to a metal foundry, a powercoat plant, a rubber plant and some others. Basically they do ALOT in house. That and believe it or not, they are probably one of the most tech advanced company in the industry, they're plant is unbelievable from what I hear...robot welders and such
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Those guys must have slept though the Patent infringement suit.:laughing:
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, i think they missed it.

October 19, 2010
    Douglas Dynamics, LLC v Buyers Products Company
    Western District of Wisconsin Jury Trial Verdict
    Milwaukee, WI – On October 14 and 15, 2010 a jury in the Western District of
    Wisconsin entered a verdict of patent infringement against Buyers Products
    Company for their manufacture, use, sale and offer for sale of the entire series
    SnowDogg® line of snowplows. The same jury also awarded Douglas Dynamics, LLC
    damages for Buyers Products Company’s infringement of U.S. Patents. Additionally,
    all patents asserted by Douglas Dynamics withstood each challenge to validity.
    Douglas has further informed the Court of its intent to seek a permanent injunction
    against Buyers’ manufacture, use, sale or offer for sale of infringing products.
    Mr. Jim Janik, President of Douglas Dynamics, LLC stated that “Douglas considers its
    intellectual property a valuable asset and will diligently and continuously work to
    research and identify potential infringement of any intellectual property by
    competitors, during this current enforcement action and beyond”.
    Douglas Dynamics (NYSE: PLOW) headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is the
    leading manufacturer of snowplows for four-wheel drive pickup trucks and sport utility
    vehicles. Its snow and ice control products are manufactured in two locations in the
    United States – Milwaukee, WI, and Rockland, ME and are sold under the
    BLIZZARD®, FISHER®, and WESTERN® brand names.
    # # # # #
    MAIL: P.O. Box 245038, Milwaukee WI 53224-9538
    SHIP: 7777 N. 73rd Street, Milwaukee WI 53223
    PHONE: 414-354-2310 FAX: 414-354-8448
  9. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Just paying DD a royalty on every winged plow!!
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

11. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

My gut feeling is they ended up working out a royalty on the patent infrigment. Buyers wasa suppose to stop making or distributing the winged plow as you see by the press release above, but nothing ever happened and You don't hear DD balking about it anymore.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Something did happen, if I remember correctly (the verdict was rendered the end of September,) Buyers was found to infringed on two patents, not to have infringed on three of the five DD filed on. Buyer got smacked with damages (plus seven figures) and have to give up a percentage of the wholesale price on infringing products until the patent expires. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a 6.25% increase in snowdogg wholesale prices.

You don't need a subscription to Lexis Nexus to see this information. If you want to read the documents you can probably find at least the verdict at Justia documents (www.justia.com )
  13. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I believe the patent problem was with mounts...not the winged plow