1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truth about the damage a full trip or trip edge plow can do to your truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Feb 8, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i figured i give you some info on the test i did on this since everyone says trip edge plows are hard on trucks.a friend of mine owns a local ford dealership and has a scanner that detects movement on the frame and body.like lets say u start hearing a poping sound or a sound that you never hurd before coming from under the truck.this scanner can have up to 20 sensors that hook on to parts of the frame and body and can detect right where the noise is coming from.now they test drive the cars/trucks with it hooked up.plus it can tell the % of movement the body or frame is doing.test trucks are both the same. 2003 SD V10 f 250s.one with a western 8 pro and the other with a fisher rd 8.we tested them on the dealer lot saturday morning since all the cars were taken out of the lot the day before and there was a fresh 6 inches of snow on a new paved lot.well the western tested fair at the start with most of the movement 40% coming from lifting the plow.bed of truck had movement along with the middle and front of truck frame.cab also had minnor movement.plowing going straight at low speeds had different % on each side of frame pending which way it was angled.wasn't high 30 to 50%.now when it came to plow tripping frame and body were high pending how hard it tripped.now the fisher was around the same with everything, but when it hit something hard and trip the percent in the front and middle of frame were higher than the western but not by much.now when the blade didn't trip when hitting something which it did alot.the % was almost as high as a low speed head on crash i was told.they said the air bag would go off if the plow was a car.we then took the plows off and went into the body shop to use the frame machine to see if anything was out of line.both had about the same which they said the machine wouldn't be able to fix it anyway because it was so little of movement.they wanted to test this because people tried to file suits against the dealership for shotty plow installation.
  2. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

that sounds right a guy i plow with has a trip edge and when he hits a high curb or a object that would normaly make my plow trip(full trip western pro) it really look like his truck takes alot of abuse just like a small crash
  3. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Did you test both trucks driving around the same lot with the plow up? reason im asking is, most trucks will flex to a degree. If you have both readings, that would be great data to see.

I have watched cars and trucks on the shaker, and you would be shocked how much they shift. But without doing that test, you will never know where you might have an issue later in the field.

Thanks for the info! :drinkup:
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thats great information and it makes sense. If you have the springs on the plow absorbing some of the impact you would think that it would reduce the amount of stress on the truck frame. Not to mention that it forces the plow up in the air which I think would also dissipate some of the energy from the impact but maybe both plows will do that. I have never used a trip edge.