Snow Plowing Forum banner

Truth about fords 6.0?

20K views 80 replies 41 participants last post by  Arptplow 
#1 ·
So whats the truth? I have herd all the horror stories but never witnessed any personaly. I have how ever witnessed them run awesome for years and years. I am looking at 2003-2009 f350s and I am seriously considering an 04 with the 6.0 in it.

#77 ·
Just joined plow site and this thread jumped out at me, I work at a ford dealer in mass selling parts, and I must say the 6.0l really is a good engine if you stick to your maintenance, ford filters (as someone else mentioned), cetain booster, stud the heads, flush coolant, and a bulletproof egr cooler....

#78 ·
Just did my first service on my 06 6.0, holy sh!t trying to get off the air filter, I was in my driveway arguing with my truck. There is a YouTube video that gives you a much better idea on how to do it that I watched afterwards, if you are going to do your own service watch the video first, will save you sanity. Side note get a socket for the fuel filter on the frame under the drivers side door, no room to move for a wrench, knuckles will look like you shook hands with Edward Scissorhands.

#79 ·
b97ranger;1670319 said:
Just joined plow site and this thread jumped out at me, I work at a ford dealer in mass selling parts, and I must say the 6.0l really is a good engine if you stick to your maintenance, ford filters (as someone else mentioned), cetain booster, stud the heads, flush coolant, and a bulletproof egr cooler....have a spare or bulletproof ficm, coolant filter, fresh oil cooler, spare ICP and pigtail if 03, and possibly a spare IPR
Added a little to your post, and then they're damn reliable engines!

#80 ·
Jim74;1670647 said:
Just did my first service on my 06 6.0, holy sh!t trying to get off the air filter, I was in my driveway arguing with my truck. There is a YouTube video that gives you a much better idea on how to do it that I watched afterwards, if you are going to do your own service watch the video first, will save you sanity. Side note get a socket for the fuel filter on the frame under the drivers side door, no room to move for a wrench, knuckles will look like you shook hands with Edward Scissorhands.
Buy the snap on socket its much much easier. I have the 7.3 one too makes that easier

#81 ·
I have a 2004 F350 6.0. Egr delete etc. and it runs great. It will pull anything I need it too, and I know others that have had them. Great truck and engine. The one thing, other than egr delete - properly, is to keep up on the mtce. And I find there is a world of difference in the winter running 0w40 Rotella t6 oil and plug in the block heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.