1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truth about fords 6.0?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CashinH&P, Oct 14, 2013.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

So whats the truth? I have herd all the horror stories but never witnessed any personaly. I have how ever witnessed them run awesome for years and years. I am looking at 2003-2009 f350s and I am seriously considering an 04 with the 6.0 in it.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Like anything you get good one's and bad one's. You would hope one that old would have all the problems worked out.
    A good friend of mine has as 05 and although he has had problems for the most part it has been a good truck. I will say, he is not good with maintenance either.
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Buy an '06 or '7 if you buy any 6.0 diesel. Stay away from the '04.
    And even then, you might want to have better head bolts and gaskets put in along with an EGR delete.
    6.4 is better, but not problem free. I hear they are harder on fuel as well.
  4. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

My buddies dad has a 2010 6.4 its had so many issues. Whats the point in going with an 06-07 its the same motor? Like cet said a truck of that age should (and by the looks of it) have the issues worked out of it.
  5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I've heard similar "horror stories" about the dreaded hemi tick. I've been driving my '04 hemi for almost ten years...not one tick.

I too have heard the problems with the 6.0, whereas the 7.3 is virtually troublefree. Like Buswell said, stay away from the early years, and consider better head bolts and gaskets.
  6. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I have personally blown a set of headgaskets on a non-tuned 6.0. Quickest $4k+ I ever spent.
  7. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Got an 03, bought no running right. Replaced the #5 injector and its been perfect. The 03, 04, 05-07 are 3 different motors. The newer the better but for the right price older ones are good too. At 6000 mine had a the engine replaced by ford then pretty much everything under the hood was replaced, only 130,000 miles too. Learn about the engine and don't expect zero problems.
  8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The engines run great. I have two one weve owned since new and one i bought with 120,000 miles. The first is a good truck but at the 100k mile mark the issues are starting to appear. Just did the egr delete and now the up pipes are leaking. There will always be problems with every truck. My dodge was just as expensive just easier to diagnose. My second 6.0 has the egr delete and head gaskets. Neither one of these trucks are worth anything money wise. So if you buy one dont pay more than the truck is worth. I picked up my 06 with 120k for 8500 bucks. Trucks are good just tempermental. They dont like the cold they hate low battery voltage and they need frequent maintenance oil and fuel filter changes are very important so look for a good maintenance record.
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is an 07. Flawless. I know lots of 6.0 owners that have the same experience. Most of the 6.0 bashes are guys that never even owned one. Lol
  10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

This seems to be the general feeling of 6.0 owners I have talked too.
  11. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I personally would never buy a truck that's already been used for plowing UNLESS I knew who I was buying it from. Outside of that, bring $11k in cash, whiff $9,500 in front of em and see if they take it. Then play the "I can go to the bank and get a few hundred more game" (it's an inherent Greek gene.....I can't help myself)
  13. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

06 here. No issues, maintained to a T. Bought new also...
  14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

One frend has an 04 no problems. Other friend just spent 10 grand rebuildng his. Both where maintained .
  15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've used a few at work. Don't like starting in the cold without being plugged in, and the ones I drove were horrible on fuel mileage, at least for a diesel. If you do the EGR delete, they aren't that bad. But as others have said, get one thats 05-07. Thats what I've heard.

And I've heard many people saying the 6.0 is soooo bad, yet if you ask them, they've never owned or even driven them. The guys I've met that own them, they can't complain about them too much.
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

A friend had a 04 and heads went out under warranty then went out again He paid 5k to get back on the road He sold it week later. Now driving a old 7.3 with 60k miles on it He bought and has over 200k on it now never had a major problems like his 04 6.0 did.
  17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First off I have never owned a 6.0 but believe the key to a good running 6.0 is to use it. Don't baby it, beat the crap out of it. One friend has an 06 6.0 he uses as a repo truck. He beats the living crap out of it. Finally had to do the egr delete at 320k, other than that it is all stock. Brother had a 06 Amarillo 6.0, he never ran it hard, never towed anything and really didn't drive it much. By 70k it had injectors, 2 turbos, one head gasket replaced. Not counting all the times dealer tried to reprogram it. Both of these people bought the trucks new. Repo guy is still running his, brother sold his when warranty ran out.
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I love me a healthy 6.0.

If you get someone to work on them that understands what they need you'll love the truck. There's to many shops that just throw parts at them and hope it runs well to count. Seems most want to watch you drop $4-6k into the motor and then see you back 6 months later for something else when they didn't do what was necessary the first time. The word "bulletproofing" gets thrown around way to much by people and shops that have no business working on a 6.0. They say it was done right and when something goes wrong you take it to a new place with someone who understands the 6.0 and they'll show you everything the other shop failed to do right.

When a 6.0 is done right they are a good motor in a great truck. I'll take a 6.0 over a 7.3 any day, no questions asked. The motor makes more power and is more responsive, if it's an automatic the torqshift (5r110) is head and shoulders above the 4r100 as well.

The 6.4's are a different beast. The biggest thing you can do to them is get rid of the stupid DPF, block the egr, and run a good tune. The abuse a 6.4 and 5R110 will take is impressive, they will also lay down some good power with minimal upgrades.
    If you want to get a 6.4 and leave it bone stock expect problems and short motor life. You would be far better off with a V10 or a Schwinn. Heck, most anything is better then a bone stock 6.4.
  19. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Well after talking to a few guys around town who have them I think I am going to pull the trigger on this truck. I have looked at what feels like hundreds of trucks (both on line and in person) and I have decided I would rather have a truck with a body in good condition and the 6.0 then find a 7.3 with super high miles and a body that is falling apart, or spending 20k + for a 08 or newer right now. I plan to do the egr delete and a tune on the truck at some point.

Thanks for the imput guys
  20. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Are you getting a dump truck?