1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trust the oil life meter from GM?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cjasonbr, Sep 28, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You guys trust the Oil Life meter on your GM's? I was reading up on it today and i think i'll wait for the light next time. What do you guys think?
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't trust anything computerized. Change it on a regular interval and I don't have to worry. Just my opinion. Not worth thousands in a rebuild.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Change the oil and do service on the severe duty schedule. Plowing / Towing beats the trucks up!
    Oil is the " Life Blood " of an engine.
    I work at an ambulance company that has all PSD squads ( Ford ).
    They do the severe duty schedule on services.
    We have squads with 300K on them with the original engines and they do not smoke much and start right up like new.
    You save money now on service, but pay later with shortened life on the engine later on.
    You never know,your 1 year old son could be driving it in 15 years. Take care of it.
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The DIC uses miles, hours, RPMs and load to determine when the next oil change should be. If you want to use the computer to remind you that it needs to be changed, next time you change it, reset the timer. Shut the truck off completely, turn the key to on (don't start the engine, though), and depress the accelerator completely to the floor 3 times, within 5 seconds. Then turn the key to off, and start it up.
  5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

With mine all i have to do is hold down the reset button on the steering wheel. Anyways: In response to what everyone is saying about truck longevity. The whole point is the truck doesn't last longer by changing the oil prematurely, it does nothing for the truck and costs you payup . From what i can gather the OLM moniters all kinds of stuff (more than was said earlier), it goes so far as to moniter the temperatures you drive in! Well anyways, i think you guys would be surprised at just how long motor oil does indeed last! and with such a sofiscticated system keeping tabs on it, i feel good bout waiting for the light (That and i put synthetic in this time)!
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Oh yea, Micki: The GM vehicles with OLM don't offer an oil change interval schedule anymore. They simply say watch the OLM. It makes sense to me since no engine is worked under the same conditions.
  7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Every 2500-3000 miles without fail. Never trust a DIC. :)
  8. xeonpro

xeonpro Member

I follow the DIC...i change the oil 2/3 less in the summer (8-9k instead of every 3k)...and at $45/oil change for a diesel it adds up.
  9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I don't see why you wouldn't go by it. I mean the computer is in there checking out everything that determines when the oil needs to be changed, let it tell you when. GM says to go by it. If they said change your oil every 2000 miles, you would so why not just do it when the computer tells you? I notice that mine comes on at a lower mileage interval in the winter when I am plowing (as it should) so ya, I go by it.
  10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have an 05 2500 with the 6.0 and in the book it says that the monitor cannot detect dust. So if you drive in dusty conditions, which I do, it tells you to go by the mileage.
  11. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

my gm tech said that the computer counts key cycles and then tells you to change the oil. so if you only go 50 miles per day you wont put on as many miles as someone putting on 200 miles per click of the key.
  12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I don't see why it's a big deal. I keep track of maintenance on my own and I know when fluids need to be changed all the time.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

At least keep track of the miles and conditions the trucks run in.

[I]Severe Duty : Dusty Conditions, Stop and go driving ( Plowing ) , Shot driving distances without warm up ( From the house to the shop a 1/2 mile away ) Towing, Extended idle time . This describes my Truck's life to a T.[/I]Your going to trust a $30,000 + truck's engine to a module made by the cheapest process or lowest bidder?

I got a brand new ignition module once that was bad right out of the box !
    The counter guy told me that 1 in 10,000 new parts are defective right out of the box.
    Do you want to be Mr. 10,000 ?