1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TruGreen plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 7, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just saw in Snow mag that they are #4 in dollars 15 million .I didn't even know they do this .Any other info?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im surpirsed
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

TruGreen landcare.... they do as well at plowing as they do anything else...hacks
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

A lot of the money is probably subs.

Read some of the stories. One of the profiles doesn't own one truck or plow. He just sells plowing and hires subs. To me that is not a snow removal company. They are a mangement company or a sales company. They don't do the service, just sell it.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im sure, i thought they were going out of business , at least in my area....

hacks , right up there with brickman im sure in quality
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i thought i remembered hearing something about this last year. i think someone around here told me, i was suprised.
  7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

TruGreen is out of IL truck, equipment, and labor wise. But some how they managed to still get my storage facilities for lawn care this season (on a nation wide contract) then just sub-ed all of IL out. Places looks crappy .... SOB's
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Truegreen in IL went Belly up last fall.
    Brickman was number one, I think they may have padded there numbers just a touch LOL.
  9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i saw their trucks all over last year, huge v-boxes on the back. Stuff falling off the trucks, empty bags of salt hanging ready to blow off, lol.
  10. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

I use to be the Area Manager for Trugreen Landcare in Denver before I went out on my own. We would make a crap load of money per storm. Sand, Salt, Shovel, Plow. The best money is in sand. We would charge 185.00 per trip, and only service our existing customers. In the blizzard that we had a couple winters ago. We did over 3,000,000 in a week. And no, Trugreen does not care about quality. The number one thing is to get it done and move on.
  11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like they are running with low overhead then.
    hire subs, they are cheaper than employees.
    lower bids to guarantee to have work and build a customer base.
    max out production to bring in the money, even on low bids.

if a customer moves on it doesnt matter, they will find another to replace them as long as the prices stay low.

pretty much a production mill is what it sounds like.
    almost like walmart.

guess they have a good business plan, need to give them credit for that. It makes others life a little harder competing i would guess. Especially since price is a focal point. Wether they do the actual work themselves is kind of a moot point, there books dont know the difference except that it is cheaper to sub it.
  12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

True Green is owned by servicemaster. If there profit margins are low they just relocate according to demographics etc.