1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

True Or Not 17in Wheels On Hd's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BillyRgn, Jan 2, 2007.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Hey guys just herd a rumor that GM would be putting 17 in wheels on the HD's. I know the look would be nice however, i have a friend with a newer dodge 2500 with factory 17's and he is having a real hard time finding tires in load range E. He told me the replacement options he found were all alot more expensive than 16 inchers, he is actually leaning more toward buying a set of 16 in rims because of the price margin in tires, i just hope GM doesn't put us in the same situation -Bill

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The 17's will be an option on the HDs. You will still be able to get 16s

Will

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

thanks looks like i'm stickin with the 16's

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

The Dodge tires have been a pain to track down. There is only 1 option per manufacturer. I just ordered some BFG's online because nobody around me carries them.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I hadn't heard about 17" wheels on pickups until my son came up with his Ford - I think it was a 2000. Then, when I went to buy tires for him, I learned about how much they cost. Seemed disproportionate for being one size over the 16" which I'd gotten for the Chevy 3500. Then, when I got my 2500, someone mentioned that there would be 17" wheels at some point in the future and eventually would be 20". The 17" seemed ridiculous for a 1/2 ton pickup, let alone 20". The only answer I could get was that the bigger tire "improved" the ride. In other words, we're going to pay hundreds of dollars more for bigger tires to get a softer/smoother ride. If that's what you want, why not buy a car? Or one of those car/pickup-wannabes. That's what happened when I got my new truck - the wife wanted to drive it, so she took it to her work one day. When she got home, she said "You can have it back, I don't want it. I want my car back. This thing is too hard to get in and out of and it rides like a TRUCK".

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

16's used to be very hard to find......when 15's were standard.

I have a buddy with 18's on his Ford.....factory installed.....

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

new ford f350 single wheel 19'' rims are standard that is how they got the 10,200 gvw the 16 inch tires are rated at approximately 2950 or 3042 lbs but the 19'' are much higher sorry i don't know the exact #'s