1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

True or false?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grandview, Aug 9, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The President wants to increase gas mileage and lower fuel consumption. I've noticed ever since they started bumping up the ethanol in the gas my mileage has gone down in all my cars and I'm using more. So,here's the thing if they go back to just gas my mileage will go up and I'll use less.Now I'm sure the gas companies won't like that but do you think this is true?
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think your reasoning is sound but you know ethanol is a renewable resource where as when the oil is gone it is gone. As early as the 1920s leading automotive designers where calling for changing the infrastructure over to Alcohol (ethanol is very close.) They make motors that will run on about anything shifting over to manufacturing ethanol fueled vehicles. I think a change to agricultural instead of fossil fuel could happen (over say 10 years, maybe faster then a electric supply system) using the basics of the existing supply systems. It would be better for the plant, help farmers and allow us to produce the fuel we burn instead of shipping our dollars to the sand dunes.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

If we dedicate that much cropland to ethonal crops. What will that do to the price of food?
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

JD will become even richer!

Your both right. More corn for fuel less to eat and it will cost more for both.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Ethanol is completely unsustainable as a cost effective means without the massive amounts of government subsidies that go into it. Bring back good ole gas!
  6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

This is true. Although ethanol is cheaper. Just try E85, if you have a flex fuel vehicle. 20 cents cheaper per gallon, but ridiculously low mileage, so you buy more of it.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Corn??? outdated fuel source Bios are being created by canola, algae, soy beans and sunflowers to name a few. algae farms can produce up to 22K gallons of vegetable oil per year per acre. If we stop exporting so much of our food crops (48 million metric tons of corn alone in 2010) and turn the acreage in to bio sources the money would stay in this country raising everyone's life quality.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Basher is right the more money you keep in the country the better off we'll all be. Plus when farmers make money they spend it. I do believe that there are much better alternatives to ethanol and we will figure all that out in the near future.
  9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

You are correct and , it takes over 1 gallon of fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol! Hardly makes any sence to me. In Europe, they have diesel vehicles (cars) that get over 60 miles per gallon, we can't import them because they don't meet EPA standards! I could use a 1/3 of the fuel I use now and it doesn't meet standards?
    The whole thng is a joke! There is so much oil still to be extracted in this country that we would never have a worry if they (EPA and greenies) would allow it to be mined/drilled etc.

Also we could keep the oil we are exporting! HUH? Who woulda thought?
  10. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

agreed. government subsidies=FAIL, Im all for the farming industry, but ethanol is not the way to turn our fuel consumption down... Like JD Dave said, there are better alternatives and hopefully theyll figure it out soon.

Oh and Down with Obama...
  11. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Just leave U.S. alone

If left to us (we) the people,and their were a way to make a car get 100 miles to a gallon of salt water ,it would have been done through free enterprise.....just get the guvment out of the way and a whole lot of schit would be come reality.Fairtax-insurence across state borders,tort reform.......VOTE FOR ME AND ILL SET YOU FREE--------ROCK ON BROTHER ROCK ONussmileyflag AND IT SEEMS NOBODYS INTERESTED IN LEARNIN BUT THE TEACHER....sorry got carried away there......old song old guy...
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Watch very carefully as to what happens w/ commodities markets starting around November & over the next 3-5 years +.....especially corn, wheat & natural gas. Cost, production, availability & control.
  13. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I think this big push on raising fuel economy (was it 56mpg...?) Is a terrible idea and will only make fuel prices go up. If my truck gets 10 mpg and I go and buy a new truck that gets 20 mpg, the oil company is loosing 50% of its profit. So they will raise the price to make up the difference. Gready bastards! As far as this e85 BS, the restrictions and regulations set fourth by the EPA should be completely lifted, giving auto makers the freedom to build on diesel. Diesel power is where its at. Fuel mileage, power and torque. But all these G@D D@MN yuppies wont allow it to happen.
  14. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Since diesel is also a by product of refining oil it gives limited capacity and it is a lesser percentage vs gasoline. Diesel prices in Europe are already higher vs gasoline because everyone drives diesel over there. It won't eliminate the rising gas prices! If everyone drives a diesel it would make gasoline very cheap if demand goes down.

I do a gree so that diesel is a way better technology over a gas engine with a lot better efficiency as well.

Key is to get into renewable energy and get away from oil!
  15. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Does anybody have anyy knowledge about natural gas run vehicles, there is a company down the street from me who is making natural gas filling stations for the state of indiana. from what i have heard the usa has plenty of natural gas.... although i do not thing they could run diesel with that....
  16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We used to do work with Biphase Technolohies in Egan MN. They have a propane and LPG system. Teleflex GFI might have one as well. I dealed with both of them before my scraper days.
  17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That has been proven wrong over and over.

Even if it was true much/most of the energy used to make ethanol is from a non motor fuel type of energy so in short making ethanol is a form of refining non motor fuels into motor fuels.
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Oil is a global commodity and priced like such. It doesn't really matter where it is produced or shipped to.
  19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  20. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

thats funnie

I dont care where your from.......THATS FUNNIE!!!!!!!!!:laughing::laughing: