1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Sep 16, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have psted a few threads regarding me getting another truck.Not much info back on what guys are using. Here is my question.. Do you all have backup trucks? What do you do if you have a breakdown in the middle of the night and need to have commercial customers opened up by morning? Just wondering what you all do. I hate to have second truck hang around all year, but if it pays for itself and makes money maybe its worth it.thanks for any info.

2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

UP A Creek

In the past I have had friends and other plow outfits lined up to help if one of my rigs broke down,unfortunately the few times I needed help at 2AM they were not willing to come or were too busy themselves.
    The last couple years I have had an extra pickup setup and ready to go,It has been a lifesaver a couple times. It costs a few hundred bucks a year to have the extra rig,but I have found it necessary and it is one less worry.
    Hyperpack

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I buy my trucks from a local ford dealer and because of that I have the keys to there shop truck if needed. anytime day or night I have access to a new ford with a 9.2 Boss v-blade. I also have my own backup plow and sander.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

snoluvr,
    I got the same problem as you. In the past I have had a few breakdowns but always seemed to get a buddy to cover for me. Sometimes I even had to plow big lots all night with the ATV to keep up. I have been looking at used F250s (have uni-mount bracket & extra pro-plow). Everything with less than 150,000 is sky high in price. What kind of $ investment should you make in a backup rig??? :confused: I have been bidding more commercial lots to try and get enough work to use the "backup" truck about half the time. If I pick up some more lots, then I will know that I will have more revenue, therefore I can figure out how much I can afford spend. :waving: BOAST

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

That must have been so fun, plowing a storm on a atv!! hope you had a thick coat and good gloves. I have just seen an ad for ford.They are offering 0% on '04 leftovers, and then they just released an $8,000 rebate plus free plow.At that rate it would only run me $380-400/month. I figure cheaper than hiring out, and gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing I am covered in case of a breakdown.I dont think the deal is on a diesel though. Also I can have another toy!

6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

:bluebounc purplebou Where are they selling 2004 F250's with 0% financing + $8,000.00 rebate, + Free Plow???? :redbounce That sounds like a heck of a deal! What kind of Plow are they offering?? In the the St. Louis area I have only heard of $5,500 cash back OR 0% financing for 60 months. I guess if you added the commercial up-fit rebate you could get an extra $1,000 off sticker, but this is only a $6,500 discount, still pretty good. I would like to check into the larger rebate & 0% & free plow!!! Could you find out if this is "to good to be true" (only on regular cab XL 2X4 f250 with 5.4V8) or if it is really what is going on. THANKS BOAST

7. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have a call in to my dealer now. a lot of people will let the dealer take the rebates off sticker and thats what they pay. I took the rebates off of the invoice and thats what I paid for my '03. On invoice they still make a 4% holdback(rebate) and other incentives.. I would jump on this in a minute if it isnt a scam. They showed a 350 with fisher on the front on the NBC commercial..i'll let u know what they come up with.

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Wife's Yukon is our backup plow. Rule is If it needs to go out It pairs up with one of the other trucks since it has no salt...

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

My Idea is to have what I call a pre-winter lookover, I check all aspects of my trucks and get them ready for the season. I change oil, filter, trans fluid and filter, fuel filters, lube and check over the suspen., rotate the tires, check the brakes, Check all the lights (including any warning lights), and most of all change the oil in the plow and make sure its working correctly. I also have my "back up truck" (84 dodge) that i have person plow for me, but its there if my main truck brakes down, and if there both broke down i have plenty of subs to do the work until my truck is up and running again.
    ive been plowing for around 11 years and not yet missed a day or night of plowing due to a breakdown. :waving:

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

one of my good friends who is my age has a plow and will help me anytime I need it and i will do the same for him. Also made good friends with a the owner of a landscaping company up the street from me, so he would help me out also if need be. I may have a back up in a jeep cherokee for this winter.