1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by perkhound, Oct 17, 2003.

1. perkhound

perkhound Junior Member
    from n.c.

I have been using bobcats to push snow for three years and want to change to plows on tucks. My question is this. Do I need a 4 wheel drive or will a 2 wheel drive work. I have f-350 and f450 trucks, but they are all 2 wheel drive. Need some advice. Thanks in advance.
  2. rdenman

rdenman Junior Member

I am new to this site and I wondered the same thing, I found that if you use the search too, you will find lots of previous discussions on this topic. and lots of suggestions, and you won't have to wait for everyone to read and repost.....

I saw quite a few good discussions on that topic, and lots of opinions...

What I got from it was, you can do it with 2 wheel drive, but you risk getting stuck and you may have to plow slower. Also, there were a lot of suggestions on making sure you carry chains etc...

3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Having a 4X4 is definatly preferable when plowing although plowing can be done with a 2wd. If you chose to plow with 2wd make sure to have a good amount of ballast weight on the back and watch where ya go and what ya get into with the 2wd because you wont have the 4wd to get you unstuck. so my answer is yes you can do it with the 2wd but if possible i would atleast invest in one 4x4 for those bad storms, also incase you need it to get the other truck unstuck.

4. rdenman

rdenman Junior Member

I meant to type "Search Tool" not search too
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It has been discused before.But it all depends on where you will be plowing if your doing big level parking lots 2wd would get by with your 450 with alot of ballest on the back.I prefere to have 4wd never know when you will need it.