1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks with utility bodies?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by highridge, Feb 14, 2011.

1. highridge

highridge Member

Anyone have a utility body on their truck or have pics of trucks that have them? Had a little incident early in the season when I slid on ice into my other truck (other truck was fine of course) I dont really want to repair the bed because its very rusty underneath and the fenders are starting to rust and I would probably just replace it if I go with another bed. I've been thinking a utility/service body would come in handy. Plus I think they can look good if you do them right and their not all rusty and beat up.

2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I'd rather have a flatbed, perfect for pallets or a water tank.
  3. onsight

onsight Senior Member

Here is a couple pics for you - I have 2 06 F350's an a 10 F350. All push 9-2 Boss v's.

4. highridge

highridge Member

Very nice! What brand are those? They look like Readings.
  5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

6. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Don't know the guy in the Chebby but I figured I'd show him Ford does it better.

BTW it is a Reading box. The newer Reading boxes are pretty sweet. They are powdercoated as opposed to painted and use internal hinges as opposed to the old style piano hinges.

And the other nice thing on this specific box is that every compartment can be locked and unlocked via remote or by locking and unlocking just the right front compartment as opposed to the old style boxes where you had to push and pull on the big handles on the back and use padlocks.

The only bad part is I don't like the lack of rearward visibility while plowing as opposed to a pickup box but it's still got better visibility than a mason dump.

One thing to consider is that the inside width is smaller than on a pickup box and the rear bumper section is entirely different as well.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. onsight

onsight Senior Member

These are all Knapheide. Had one redding through the years and it was a nice body - but I have gotten better pricing with Knapheide.
  8. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

onsight you need to post on here more often! that is a nice bunch of trucks! really clean , and nicely matched
    lets see some more photos!
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

7.3 i agree with you they def arent as easy to see with
  10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

suscribing. been wanting to put a service body on my truck, but I think I am just going to have to buy another truck and leave mine the way it is.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i was also thinking about it but they only have readingat my dealer, which to me should say rusting hahaha
  12. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

they look nice but id rather have a flatbed. i guess it all depends on what you plan on hauling the rest of the year
  14. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Service box on single rear wheels probably a good bet. I have 2 service boxs on duallys and they are a little big for small sites. Walmarts no worries.
  15. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you decide on a replacement box, try some of your local truck up fitters that took it off to install a utility body:D
  17. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Bed fits a salter. And unlike a pickup truck you can haul sheetrock no problem. Bed is 4'2" * 8'2".... it fits like a glove. Most universal truck I have its great,

18. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

two used ones for sale on Pittsburgh craigs list
  19. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

The rear view mirror during the summer. You can still see pretty good btw.

20. highridge

highridge Member

s&mll, really nice pics
    I've also been thinking of maybe a nice aluminum flatbed but I can get a reading body from a friend of mine for a good price so I'm trying to decide.