1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trucks wheel base

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z_plow_master, Dec 27, 2004.

1. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

hello all,
    i was with my friend looking for a new truck for plowing,
    our options are going down to:
    ford f250
    chevy/gmc 2500hd
    dodge ram 2500
    to me they are all great trucks.
    but when they tell me a short wheel base vs a long wheel base i get confused,
    which is better for plowing
    i know it is better to have a shorter truck, but the distance between left and right tires isn't something i was really aware of its importance related to plowing.
    thanks

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

"wheelbase" is front to back...not left to right.

3. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

ah so it is front to back......sorry that is why i was so confused

4. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

WHEEL Base?

The Shorter the TRUCK is EASYER to PLOW With! to a Point in referance to Regular Pick-Ups--over a Plow vehicle such as a CJ-5 JEEP--& a Heavyer Chassis such sa 3/4 ton is Best in the Pick-Up Line--as NO Plow Vehicle is Too Strong! in referance to the Drive Gear!--I had an Ole Freind that Bought a Airport Aircraft TUG! which is a Very Heavy & very Short almost Square Uint--& 2 wheel drive Rear Only--But w/ It being So Heavy aprox 6 tons & so Short--8ft in length--w/out the Plow--& NO CAB looked like a 3ft Square BOX?--but w/a 9ft Plow--it Was a TANK! I remember HIM Plowing a very WET 8 inch Snow that NO One Else could even Start to Move!--as it was Packed down by others that Had Allready Tried! to Plow It!--& to See HIM & that WEIRD Thing?--Plow that Huge Parking Lot It Plowed that Wet Snow as though HE was just Driving around in JULY!--But-He Was ONE Very WET Snow Plow Driver!--but I don*t Think??it would Plow Dirt Driveways very Good! as it Had Very LOW Ground Clearance!--3 inches at Most? & the Snow Banks all looked tinted Blue w / perfect Molds of the Plow Blade--& Water was Running Out at the Bottom as He Backed UP!--Crazy! WEIRD Machine!--Ole JIM--

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

There was a guy that plowed a nearby Kmart lot with a truck similar to that. It was one of those types that pulled mobile homes. He had a big block of cement on the back.
    Anyway, as stated above, the shorter wheelbse is much more of an advantage over longer based trucks. Granted, a longer wheelbase will give you better traction and pulling/pushing power, but not enough to make a significant amount of difference so this plus is by far outweighed by a shorter turning radius with the shorter base.

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

i ve had all three trucks........the dodge eats trannys,the chevy hates weight.the ford kicks azz! :drinkup: ....bet this is gonna hurt :waving:

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Chevy hates weight? Not in my expereince. Plenty of beat up IFS trucks in the fleet that havent puked. My truck handles my 9'6" V blade as well if not better than my dads F550. After 4years of plowing the front end of the 550 is scarry even after being partialy rebuilt. Or do you mean it dosnt have the power to pull the weight? Ask the guy in the turboed eclipse i ran if he thinks I have a problem pulling weight around. 6700# truck with 1k of ballast in the bed. Or ask any of the 5.0 or new GT mustangs I have lined up with. :cool: All in good fun though, no flames intended. I have just had good luck with Chevy.

Ok.........long vrs short. it depends!!!!! There is no one end all or perfect answer. Long wheel base pushes snow better and tows better. Plain and simple. Short wheel base turns much shorter. If your doing driveways you are more concerend about turning. Chevy IFS has a pretty damn good turning radius though. Fords new fat boy(I think thats what they call the new axel in the 450 and 550???) axels in the 550 is a drastic improvment from the past, they turn pretty good. Duno what the smaller fords turning raduis is now and if they run something simmilar?

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Z plow master,

Track width, distance between tires measured side to side is also a important factor when building a plow truck.

You want at least 3-4" of plow blade to stick out on either side beyond the track width of the truck. This is measured at FULL ANGLE or VEE position.

Wide tires, offset rims, all can contribute to a wider track width.

9. ratlover

from IL

BTW when comparing the above trucks you arnt really comparing apples to apples. 2500HD is a one ton truck not a 3/4 ton. the chevy 3/4 ton is a 2500, its confusing, it dosnt make sense I know.........

The trucks trac width should all be pretty simmilar and not enough of a difference to matter IMO...

10. hesko1

hesko1 Member

Wheel base

I'm already building a truck for next year. 1985 Blazer 1 ton, np205, dana 60's, front and rear blades. DIESEL. I only plow commercialy now but I used to plow a hundred driveways by myself with a 1976 blazer front and back blades. The one drawback is the traction in a deep snow. Although that can be made up for by power! and ballast/weight. I'm going to start a post/thread in January on the progress of this project, I already have the motor done, and the frame is ready for blasting and paint.

11. ratlover

from IL

I think I should clarify my post......its not that a longer wheelbase will give you better traction all else being equal but its easier to keep straight.

Sounds like a mean MF you are building there. 6.5 or what?