1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck's going to need tires, What size?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck is going to need new rear tires before winter, the fronts are still probably 70%.
    Right now it has 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.

I'm undecided if I want to put 265's back on the rear but go with Wrangler Duratrac's instead and leave the Silent Armors up front. Or if I want to take all 4 off and go with 235/85/R16 Duratracs. They'd be going on the factory aluminum wheels of my hd and I'd keep them mostly for winter use. I'd get different wheels and tires for Spring-Fall.

Or is there another size I should be looking at? I don't want snow tires either, we don't get enough snow for them and I drive quite a bit so I think they would wear fast.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ive always put the 265's yokohama's on my chev, they look good and a common size.
  3. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

How do you like the silent armors. I just put some Silent Armors pro-grade on my F-350. Why are you changeing tires.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The Silent Armors seem to wear kinda quick. And they are terrible offroad or around mud. Which for most people isn't a problem. Being a farmer, it's a bit of a problem for me.
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Throw some BFG A/T's on there and your good to go! lots of traction and still quite... I'd probally stay at stock for winters... then throw some 305/50/r20's on there in the summer
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't plan to run a big tire in the winter. Either a 265 or a 235/85/16. I'll stick with the wider tires for Spring-Fall. Only I was thinking more something in the 16-18" wheel range for my new wheels lol. I think 20's would look weird on my truck.
  7. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

285's do it you wont!
  8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

215/85x16 in an aggressive tread with an "E" load rating. Skinny and aggressive wins the day in snow. Lots of choices out there.
  9. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

I really like the toyo open country's. I had them on my chevy and they did great in snow and mud
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've plowed with 285s for 3 seasons. Their ok. I'll save the 285s for Spring-Fall on different wheels.

I don't want to go with to small of a tire. Even being load range "E" they still arn't rated very high. A full V Box and just the weight of the back 1/2 of the truck and your really pushing them.
  11. Sawboy

215, 235, or 285. If they're E load, they're E load. Doesn't matter.
  12. Sawboy

Forgot to mention. Differnce from to 215 - 235 is probably 3/8" in width and 1.1" in o.d.
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

285 bfg a/t
  14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

it seems to me you already know, exactly what size tires you want :rolleyes:
  15. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

Run 265's..... next month i changing my tires to 265 goodyear duratrac tires :nod:
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Tire size has a big effect on the load rating of the tire.
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac:
    A 215/85R/16 E Is rated at 2,680lbs at 80psi.
    A 235/85/R16 E is rated at 3,042lbs at 80psi.
    A 265/75/R16 E is rated at 3,415lbs at 80psi
    A 285/75/R16 E is rated at 3,750lbs at 80psi.

They're all E load, It does matter now doesn't it?
  17. Sawboy

Not really. Difference of 700 lbs all in. But thanks for the attitude. Have a nice day, a safe season, and GOD bless ya!!
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My sarcasm didn't transfer well thru text (big surprise there). I was just stating that it can be important. The difference is 1,070lbs per corner so I could loose as much as 4,280lbs of capacity. That's pretty important imo when plow trucks are anything but light.
  19. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I've had the DuraTracs on my truck for a full plowing season now, and I love em! Good traction, and just wanna throw in the fact they are 315/70/17's. Big tire, still excellent traction. (4" lift and 4.56 gears is why I run those tires). Had same size with the BFG ATKO's before, again, great traction....good luck with what ever you decide on!