1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks At Work & Just Put New Plates On Side The Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service, Feb 2, 2008.

1. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service Senior Member

Here are my 2 trucks out at work...On the chevy I had plates put on the side of this plow this CUT MY TIME IN 1/2, I plow this lot that has to be pushed start this scoops it up nice..I would like to say thanks for the help on this...At first I did not want to put this on I did not know how this would push to the side oh boy this thing works great....I got done with this one customer so fast i felt bad.....payup

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

nice. I wish we had snow, I'm so bored.

3. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice trucks, you lucky to have snow!

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

They look good. That is the trip edge right? I wanted to add those to mind, but i dont think they will work.

5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looking good

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Show us some pics of how you mounted the plow sides/wings!

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i really like those plates. like them better than the wings. could you post some pics with no snow tho so i can see the set up..but looks real good

8. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

Here are more pic that u guys ask for..I am getting a pair made up for the ford...This have been bolted on this way if i want them off i just unbolt them..Thay are 1/2 in diamond plate..A buddy of mine owns a welding shop who made this up for me..The best investment of the year for me :blush2:....he has the templet for them...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wow both trucks look really good and it looks like they actually have some work to do too

10. Easy

Easy Senior Member

What happens when you hit something solid with the plow? Doesn't seem like it would fold forward like is is designed to.
    Don

11. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I'm building some for my truck this week!!
    Sweet, I was trying to get some pro wings, but the local guys are all sold out, and I was told not to put them on my 8.5' plow, cause of being too wide driving down the road!!

As mentioned above, what happens when you hit something, does the plow still trip??
    I will figure out a way to put them on with pins, so I can add/ remove them quickly, similar to pro wings.

12. craigd

craigd Member

I've had plates on my plow for the last few years. They are much shorter than these, but they still work really well. I was originally looking at prowings...but my plow is poly and it didn't seem like it was going to work...so I went this route. Mine stop about 6 inches from the ground and have a thick piece of rubber contacting the ground. This is what allows the blade to trip like it was designed. The plates on S and A Landscaping's truck are pretty sweet...i'd be willing to bet he can push a ton more than a standard v-plow...but i'd trim them up a little and add a piece of thick rubber to the bottom. That will make everything a little more safe IMO.

13. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

Nice set up!

Why is there a spacer between the diamond plate and the blade - is that due to clearance issues? It looks like they may have been needed to clear the blade at the top (right next to where the guide bolts on to).

Thanks

14. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I was thinking the same thing. Do you think it would work using clevis pins like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94400-94499/94460.gif

My thought was instead of using bolts, to use clevis pins with washers as spacers so that the holes would line up right next to the metal of the wing. My only concern is that the force created by a full box would shear the retainer part of the clevis pins.

15. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

Thanks for all the compliments guys..The spacer i had to put there,there is about 1/2 lip on the outside of the plow...Pins i wanted this to be tight on the plow that is why i put bolts on it..The pic on this was the 1st time out with this and it did trip it rolled wright over..This is still new to me but u are wright it does push ton of snow...If anyone can inprove this let me know

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  16. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

S&A

When it tripped and rolled over, what was it that gave out? Did your up/down cylinder retract or did the whole front end of your truck rise?

The reason that I ask is because if it was the up/down cylinder that retracted, did that place any undue stresses on the hydraulics? If it does it enough times would that be enough to eventually blow a hydraulic seal?

As you can guess, I have zero knowledge about hydraulics. :D I am not trying to put down your build (I really like the way it turned out), but only ask so that I may learn.

Thanks! :)

17. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

When it trip i stop vary fast i do not know on how far it went...I still may round out the bottem more on this..Any help would be appreciated..I do drive a little more slower..I plow this bar lot that has a lot of pot hole this still work great...

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

S&A if these scoops are new to you you might want to consider trimming the bottoms off and adding a rubber or poly edge on the bottom to allow some give in the plates when an obstacle is struck. Without any give to them they'll bend pretty easy if you hit something with one. I made a set of these a couple years ago (removable though) and ran them alot on my straight blade but I used them with a rubber edge. I'll get a pic of the actual ones I made tomorrow but here a link with a pic of the store bought ones that show the same basic design that I made mine like a few years ago: Power Scoops

They are definitely a time saver on residentials! Any place where your in a narrow area and you need to move the snow to the end of the push, just like most small driveways :nod:. They're great for narrow lots with cars on both sides too.

19. J&D

J&D Member

lets see a side view of that chevy

20. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member