1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks and snowplowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shooterm, Mar 23, 2010.

1. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Maybe I complete biased on this but thru what heard and seen I cant get myself to wrap my mind around putting a plow on worktruck. I've run the prices and understand lower initial price but the damage on them seems to fudge everything up. Is it just the fact I've always sat in some type of loader or skidloader and cant see the advantages? Only postive I'm seeing is a one man mobile platform for snowplowing but trying to find other means. Thanks for any input!

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well we have alot of small lots and lots that are all over the city. I have seven lots that are pleanty big for a skid or a loader, but none of them are close enough to each other to drive the machine to and from.

I would love to be able to justify a loader on my lots, but I can't unless I could push several lots with each machine. Funny you bring this up, we actually spent yesterday pounding the pavement looking for new larger customers to try and put a loader on for this fall.

Bossman

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if its a worktruck isnt it made to work?

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I agree with the OP to an extent.

We have 5 plows on trucks, because we already have the trucks and are a necessary evil in our summer operations.

Besides the trucks we use loaders, skid steers, tractors and backhoes.

They are more efficient and will out push a truck anyday and generate more money than a truck possibly could, esp when we get major accumulations-a truck becomes almost useless, unless you "plow with the storm"-which isnt really neccessary, or the case on most of my properties, so in turn we are often faced to deal with large amounts of drift.

We have decided not to add anymore pickups with plows to our fleet.

Pickups will get to multiple sites quicker, but I would bet if you figured the time a tractor or a loader would make up in productivity once on the site, it would still be a more efficient method of clearing snow. Unless your travelling major miles between sites that is. :drinkup:

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

But Johnny, what if the trucks are "Duallys" do ya think more traction & weight would add benefit? I've never really had any issues with my F-350 dually being outpushed by snow. wesport