1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trucklite plow lights on dodge ram

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mich-scape, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mich-scape

mich-scape Junior Member

anybody put the trucklite 80800 on a 2001 ram 2500? I am having trouble locating were to splice into the high and low beams. the instructions say to cut the headlight wire before it Y's to the passenger side light. I cannot find this point. there is also two wires going to the high beams and three going to the lows. please help. I cant see

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have trucklites and I did not follow the wire diagram that came with the kit. I don't like cutting into the wire harness, esp on a newer truck like yours. I just used relays for the lows and the highs. The only thing spliced into is that park/signal circut. I soldered and shrink wrapped those connections. So all I do is turn on the parking lights and flip a seperate switch for the plow headlights.
    T.J.

3. mich-scape

mich-scape Junior Member

thanks for the help tjs. I am not a mechanic. you say a relay. can I just find a 12 volt power source and hook up to there or is there something I am missing.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

A relay is a electro-mechanical device that takes the load off the switch. All the switch does is "turn-on" the relay and the relay turns on the lights by passing the power directly from +12 (heavy gauge wire from batt) to the lights. Do a seach on how relays work.
    T.J.

5. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I wouldn't tap into a 12 volt power source, thats a good way to short things out and start blowing fuses.

I would recommend what TJS said. If you want an easy way to do it, I would recommend going to the auto parts store and buying two fog light wiring kits. Basically you'll wire the plowlights up just like you would fog lights. It'll come with everything you need. The wire, the relays, wire loom, and the switches. Just follow the directions and you should have no problem. The kits are about $12 each.

Thats how I'd do it.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i am also going to do the relays. plus my older truck thats getting them will get the relay mod for the regular lights.

7. mich-scape

mich-scape Junior Member

thanks for the help everyone. lights are up and running. I did get a fog lamp kit with a relay and converted it for my use. everything works great and I can see again. just in time for what I hope will be the first big snow of the year. getting anxious to put the plow down and a little tired of just salting. thanks again!!!!