1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truckless town

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowinjoe, Jan 17, 2007.

1. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

The town I live in has 4500 people. Its a small town no Mcdonalds or walmart but we have a few grocery stores, 3 hardware stores, hospital and quite a few apartments, and condos. No one in town plows commercially with a truck/plow combo. The streets are done with a grader. The construction companies use their loaders and back hoes. Theres a few guys using tractors. The only guys in town that use trucks are for personal use or for their own business. Is this odd? When I go to the city I see trucks everywhere but not up here and I'm in the snowbelt.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

looks like a great opportunity to start a plowing business, and clean house.

3. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Town that size, distance is not a major factor. A company with a loader or a tractor can clear a parking lot in short order and drive on to the next without a whole lot of travel time. The contractor already owns his equipment he is getting more use out it. He doesn't have to invest any further equipment for his pickup or dump truck.

I guess it doesn't seem strange to me. Makes sense.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd be worried why nobody else has thought of this before. I bet people might have tried it before and failed. JMO.

5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

the Town I come from was small town, now it's pop over 6000, I did started plowing business in the early 90's yeah did got calls, had the tractor loader, plow truck, lawn tractor with snow blower 36" cleaner side walks..

One time fun time! my brother was working at pizza hut, boss told him to go clean side walk off:eek: , snow from the street plow over side walk maked it hard to shoop, he just called me and dad oh yeah it was cleaner in 20 min.. boss did not even know we do snow business:dizzy: , that afternoon we had our dinner in pizza hut you bet the bill was over 40! he took it up for claner side walk not even long 60 feet.:salute: :drinkup:

6. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

We don't see many trucks up here in Alberta either. I'm glad it's not popular cause like Gold Pro say's, the trucks would come in and destroy the prices. It's not how fast, it's how many hours you put in cause you're "getting paid by the hour"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Who cares if the truck can go lightfuc###g speed. It just means less money....:cry:

Hurray for the skidsteers... we can pull in 2 grand or more a day per large skidsteer easy, and it's in comfort without the rat race.... tymusic :redbounce

7. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

I know of 2 guys who tried to "clean house" in town. Neither are around anymore. My boss drove a truck for years, now it justs sits out at the farm, he hasn't even put the plow on yet. The bi-directional I drive has a top speed of 18 miles/hr.. When the boss was still using his truck we plowed at the same speed going forward but in reverse I was allot faster.

8. doh

doh Senior Member

I live in a town of 8500, and there is no fewer than 5 single truck commercial outfits, 4 multi truck and or tractoer commercial outfits, and 25 or more personal plows that do their homes and businesses and maybe some friends.

9. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I live in a small town in IL. and the town has no snowplows. Myself and another guy do all the city streets. After streets are done we are also the only game in town to get your driveway plowed by.

10. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

hey mopar

i am goin to need directions to your town im bringing my trucks and equipt and set up shop........................ JK:waving: