1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truckers parked in commercial lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrs.landscaping, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Does anyone else have problems with OTR truckers parked on their lots during storms? Every storm I have to tell 2 or three drivers they need to leave as there is no overnight parking during snow storms. I always get the same thing, "where can I go? I'm over my HOS. Someone told me I could park here... etc." One trucker backed into the spot we stack our snow and was confused when 4 hours later his trailer was buried in snow :dizzy:. I feel for them but when it takes us extra time to have them move or work around them when they don't it costs payup
  2. jdo150

jdo150 Member

I sympize with the
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

in our lots if they are not am deliveries at the store there they have no business there, and the county sherriffs back it up. we had one get stuck in a main drive at 3am and he thought we were going to drop what we were doing to help....NOT.....last thing we addressed
  4. jdo150

jdo150 Member

OTR guys a little because my girlfriends father works for a trucking company I would plow some spots and ask the guys to move into the cleared areas. I know it's a not a fun lifestyle so I try to cut them some slack.
  5. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I just plow around them, it's a slight pain, but it's not my job to tell someone they can't park somewhere.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know your pain
    They park in a lot I do reason its free Down the road is a place for them to park But they have pay a fee
    I knock on there doors asking them to move to a clean area If not Well!!
    In this same lot I have 100ft area to pile snow and when you have a semi blocking 60ft+ of the 100 its hard try plow around Now if they park out in middle O yes I will plow around
    Its posted No overnite parking I was told by my customer to call the cops but never did that
    In a different thread some called me a dick for buring a semi I think the semi driver is the dick for parking in front my pile area
    Be No different if I work for a city and buried the cars along a road that has signs no parking during Snow storm City here calls Tow trucks to fix there problems other places the cars just get buried

Time is Money
  7. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Problem is if there on a computer log system and there over there hours they will loose there job if the truck is moved. I know it sucks to plow around them, but sometimes they have no choice but to stop in the nearest available safe haven that happens to be the lot your plowing. I'm willing to bet if you just asked them to pull ahead onto a section that's cleared already it would be done with no questions asked. Treat them with a little curtsey, someday you might be broken down/parked somewhere that isn't the most convenient spot for someone else.
  8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Work with them , don't be a Richard Cranium ! They would rather be going down the road too , but have to obey the law ! Trust me , they don't want to be there either . If their wheels aren't turning , they aren't making a dime !

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I use too, if they parked like an idiot I'd make lot of noise around them,

Some guys would get it and wait for me to clean out a spot and promptly move
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Their lack of planning is not my problem.

I have a lot where one parks frequently, because he lives close by. Not quite the same, but you get the idea.

Yes, mall is mostly empty. However, the owners have signs posted for no overnight parking. And he parks where the snow goes. I know he's struggled many times to get out after we're done plowing.

Sorry, there's truck stops, rest areas, etc all over the place. With a little planning ahead, there is no reason they have to park in any lot they come across.
  11. bln

bln Senior Member

I plow a couple of accounts for 1 guy and he had a problem with truckers parking in his lot. We remove snow from one lot so he had me just dump it all around the semis that were parked there. It was funny watching them try to get out in the morning. I would tell them 100 to pull them out.
  12. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I had some dildo park his triaxle in the middle of my lot yesterday when I was ripping around in my deere yesterday. Guy looked at me like I had two heads when I went up to the cab and asked him if he was fahkin seriously parking there.. Some people are beyond stupid. I know this is different from what you are referring to but I figured I'd mention it.
  13. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I try to be patient since I know the lifestyle, most of the time if I am clearing the lot they will move to a clear area quickly without me even getting out of the cab.

I do, however, have one ******* who ALWAYS parks his rig at a gas station I service and its ALWAYS where I stack. Well, I ALWAYS leave a pile in front and behind this rig when he does this.
  14. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Most of them understand, and I know the larger companies have computer systems that shut the truck down when they reach their HOS limit. I can't understand the ones who become upset at me, it's not my fault it snowed.
  15. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Ask them to move to a plowed portion of the lot...... :nod:
  16. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

wow i see alot of disrespect here for truck drivers now i see why we get disrespect also if everyone thought their job was more important then the next we all be in trouble, if you have never been an over the road trucker you have no business complaining simply go around them and go back after they leave you give respect and you will get respect back and yes sometimes these guys have no choice but to shut down do to all the laws we asked our government to put on them for safer roads maybe they should crack down on some of the snowplowers i see out on the raod with unsafe loads and overweighted trucks then how would you feel believe me i wouldnt like it either if they were in my lot but i wouldnt be a wuss about it and cry about it get over it and move on and yes i am from a trucking company and a snow removal business
  17. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

i figure my job is to clear the lot off, I'm not telling anyone to move or be an ass to someone, if the owner wants them moved he can do it i'm not. Yes its a pain in the butt, but we are just clearing snow.
  18. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Its is about the dumbest thing i have ever heard, I don't always think my job is more important but in a storm you better believe it is. And for that matter the trucker is on "my turf" affecting my business so it is definitely an issue. I agree with the other that have said its not my issue they didn't calculate their driving times property or don't want to pay the extra fees to park in the proper areas, that's part of doing good business. And you know what we pay a whole **** lot extra to have larger trucks and larger equipment so we aren't over weight and we do follow the rules.

I understand if you have a break down or in an emergency situation. And these people who say trucks are parked in front of piles, how dense do you have to be to park your truck in front of a obvious snow pile when ITS SNOWING??

I could be a little more understanding if they are parked out of the way or willing to move the truck as i plow but I am not going to tell them to move...if they are in front of a pile then they will become part of that pile too.

That's my opinion, other may think differently but that's how I deal with it and I have no plans to change that.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Wow amazed at the remarks on this pretty amazing how you guys dont give them the benifit of the doubt they could have been ordered to park there by a state trooper would love to see what you would do if in their situation they follow the rules of the road and wish alot of the plowers out there would follow who think they own the road just because its snowing out and can break all the rules of the road well good luck with the bad attitudes up north
  20. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Have you ever pulled into a REAL truck stop at night during a snow storm? You can almost never find a place to park unless it's before 2pm. Second, you say it's not your fault they didn't calculate there stops right, well when your on crappy roads with a 80-100,000 pound truck you get held up and sometimes you can't make it as far as you had planned therefore you're forced to come up with a alternative. I hope that one day all you guys that think it's funny and cool to plow in a parked big truck is parked in one of my parking lots so I can plow you in then tell you $100 to get out. Seriously OTR truckers are out there trying to carve out a living just like your doing, treat them with a little respect. Your complaining about them having to park in a parking lot to sleep because the federal government says they can only drive a set amount of hours a day, but I bet you'd be complaining a lot more if a trucker who didn't pull over to sleep fell asleep and ran over your wife's car with you family in it...

And yes, I to own a trucking company.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013