1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truckcraft or downeaster best one ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cincy snowdog, Feb 25, 2007.

1. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

well i am buying a new dump insert for a new pick up(aluminum) ,i ordered the t120 insert and the t130 deicer gate on thurs. but i am sceptical because of cost,almost 10,000 when all said and done. i called downeaster fri and was talking to a fellow ,he was telling me about the downeaster,i like the cost steel bed was 2100 ,stainless was 3100 and the gate was 3200
    truckcraft is more in our area here i never have seen a downeaster in person can someone who has used both, compare the difference they have seen before i finalize this truckcraft.
    anyone with input would be appreciated,i just ask that you have used or are aware of these .

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Send 4evergreenlawns a pm, he has 2 of them and loves them. I should be getting one this spring.

Good Luck Mike

3. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

I too just purchased a new dump and was looking at TRUCK CRAFT.After recieving all the info I called them and I have to say I was impressed.However I know this guy who plows the Target Store and he has the under tailgate model.This unit has been nothing but trouble for him.The cab control box started to smoke and shut the hole unit down.Also he has had problems with the structure of the unit.(support brackets bending.)The concept is good,however there are lots of bugs to get worked out!Again until these problems are solved and a new style control box are made STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!!!

4. cincy snowdog

well thats what i need to hear ,from what i understand the box is new and redesigned so not sure if it fixed it but i am not up to losing a truck to fire.the controls for the dump are separate from the deicer i believe but not for certain. i am interested in the downeaster i need to know as far as reliable,i will travel to get a good product but i dont have a local dealer near here for parts or service ,how is the service if you have one,how is it working for you,any problems? pics of inside control box possible? any one have a dealer near or do you go to direct with downeaster?
    any help or thoughts would be greatful just dont want to buy a headache.
    truckcraft or downeaster. ? thanks Snowdog

5. cincy snowdog

turf ,what kind did you buy? deicer gate too?

6. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

On 2 of my dumps GMC 3500 I have Western Ice Breaker V Hoppers with Honda engines which are flawless.Never had one problem.The Truck Craft is something I am looking into for next year if they make changes.

Glenn

7. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

I almost forgot!Never buy a spreader unless it's STAINLESS STEEL.

8. TL&D

TL&D Junior Member

Cincy Snowdog I have been using the TruckCraft 120 & 130 for about 7 years now,when they work they work very well when the 130 is down it is an extreme pain to locate the problem and an even bigger pain to here all parts are only made for Truck Craft and no one has them in stock :yow!: Looking for an alternative myself can't find a specific happy medium thats as simple to convert from lawn to snow in half an hour

9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Have had my TruckCraft for years and have never had a problem. It will throw 10K lbs/hr w/o a jam or failure. I will probably wind up buying another.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm buying a downeaster unit in the spring, i think they are great. Will be getting the salter for it as well when i have a need for one

11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Talk with BOB SMITH at Costal Metal Fab. They build the Downeaster line.

I can tell you the TruckCraft unit has seen its share of control box issues. That was the case in 2000/2001 and seems to STILL be the case. Might also want to ask about the lift ram and seals on their dump insert.

I run Karrier Controller for the spinner and the Auger control is just a toggle to trip a standard solenoid. As for getting part what I can not find local (which has not been much when parts have been needed) I call Costal Metal Fab and get the part NEXT DAY!!!

I have ordered both my units direct from Maine and get treated like I was standing in there office. I have NO dealer support at all. Who cares if there is Truckcraft dealer is they can not get the controller right after 5 years.

In the lawn season I put some steel side boards with rear Barn Doors and I get 5 Yards for mulch no problem. Lifting and dump has never been an issues.

If I was to add any additional pick up trucks they WILL get this upfit standard. This is the best $5,500.00 I spent to up fit a Pick Up for all season usage.

Good luck!!!

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

4evergreens, I called Friday to see if they would sell me one direct and they said no I have to go through a dealer:confused: How did you get around this? Around here a painted insert was 2100.00 and the spreader was around 2200.00 plus tax and install.

13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I just bought a downeaster stainless steel insert. I bought the tarp, headboard, and double acting pump. I should be getting it installed in the next two weeks (they said they needed 7-10 days to make it). I'll let you know how it goes.

14. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Brian,

Ask for BILL SMITH. I am not sure who you spoke with but I find it hard to think with such a limited dealer network that would be the case. Might have just talked to someone that did not want to be bothered.

Good Luck.

15. Brian Young

I just got off the phone with Bill, he said he had a dealer in Erie and he cant sell it to me directly. He didnt want to undercut the dealer, but he said the quote of 2100-2200.00 is a really goo deal.

16. Brian Young

Premier, what did that set up cost (if you dont mind) because that is the exact set up we were going with.

17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I went with my dealer. It was around 4300 for the stainless steel version with the double acting pump, tarp roller kit, and the protector. Plus Installation and Shipping.

18. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Dealer in Erie,LOL.
    Jerre, is a good friend, he'll take good care of you. We buy our plows from him, and he comes up here in the summer to perform maintenance services. Great guy, great dealer support!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  19. cincy snowdog

Well here the scoop,i am buying a truckcraft-i called and got a brochure and pricing on downeaster. I then called back and they will sell to me in cincy but when i had some questions for them,the guy on the phone couldnt answer them and i was sent to someones voicemail and never got a return call.I have done my homework on this and i feel more secure with truckcraft.Five year warranty is hard to beat.The city of cincinnati uses about fifty of these units ,so it must be good.
    Ours will be installed at the end of the week.
    i found a truck dealer in Pa that has the best deal around here.five hours is no problem to drive to save cash.
    in Cinti truckcraft aluminum -9500 deicer gate,cab shield,tarp
    in Pa truckcraft- 7675 deicer gate,cab shield,tarp
    downeaster- stainless - 6600 deicer gate,cab shield,tarp
    downeaster- steel- 5500 deicer gate,cab shield,tarp
    sold to truckcraft,thanks to all who submitted their thoughts.will post pics when unit in truck .thanks again

20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Good luck with it and a fair price too. I look forward to the pics.