1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TruckCraft DeIcer

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rcpd34, Dec 9, 2008.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Anyone have experience with the spreader motor and lubing or servicing it? It won't spin and is drawing a lot of amps. It looks permanently sealed from the factory.

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Its a pain to take apart because of that rubber coating. Oddly enough, thats one of the downfalls to the DeIcer. The salt and moisture gets inside underneath the spinner, and the rest of the the unit is sealed and traps everything in there. The new spinner motors are not sealed for the reason, according to my dealer. Take it apart, clean it thoroughly, put it together and hope for the best if your not knowledgeable in rebuilding electric motors. If not, find someone that can, or prepare to cough up over $500 for a new one. I'm not the biggest fan of the DeIcers, and I say that from experience.

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I do see the new ones are completely redesigned; for good reason. I have been extremely happy with this salter; except for this problem. It has been very reliable.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

If the new spinner motors prove to be more reliable, then I'll be content with them again. Going thru a spinner motor every 1-2 years, at over $600 around here, tends to sway ones opinion. ;)

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I agree. However, this is the first one to go bad on me. Do you have a source for one at $600? I was quoted $778! :eek:

I called TruckCraft to see if they would work with me since this is obviously a widespread problem and the response was abrupt and very rude. I will certainly look elsewhere when I buy another salter. That's too bad because I really like the unit except for the motor issue.

6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member