1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JD PLOWER, Jun 16, 2003.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Well I finally bit the bullet and got the truck I had posted about a month ago. It's as I said back then, 2002 550 , 4x4, 9' rugby, auto, diesel, and AC. The original price was 38550 got it for 37,960 not a bargain but considering its new and is now more popular than ever (6.0 not getting great press) I felt it was the best I was ever going to do on a new truck. Thanks to all who helped me with their advice and experience with these trucks. Now I know since I bought this truck it won't snow next year :rolleyes: but this is an investment for the next ten years or more payup .

truck

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nice truck ! You should be happy with it.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thats a great truck. I hope that you have the best of luck with that truck. So what kinda plow is going on the truck? A 10ft? Best of luck buddy! ;)

4. JD PLOWER

Thanks guys :waving:

Meyer thats a good question. I think I might go with the Fisher 9.6 v or the blizzard 8/11 they both have good and bad points for my type of work.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with the heavier Blizzard,or some other municipal\commercial type plow.The Fisher V's don't seem to hold up too well behind the heavier F4-550's.

6. JD PLOWER

Yeah I know what you mean wyldman and so does Fisher . The rep at sima told me they know about the problems with the plow on a 450-550 but also said most of the problems come from some one with a little too much "enthusiasm" when pushing back piles (something I can relate to). One of the issues I've had with the Blizzard is it does seem to do what most trip blades do and that is it tends to lean over when stacking heavy wet snow, something trip edges don't experience. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons of both.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

There isn't really a problem with the blade "leaning over".or flopping forward.It's a much softer trip that a trip edge plow,and it will continue to scrape.

I've had many plow with both designs,and find the full-trip system much better.Trip spring tension is also important,as if it isn't set right,the plow will not trip as designed.

8. JD PLOWER

I'm not arguing the scraping abilty of the trip blade, what I'm saying is the stacking ability is not that of a trip edge. I have a 8/10 on our bobcat and it does make good size piles but the v blades pile's are considerably larger and the bobcat has a tremendous height adavantage over a pickup truck. This debate about trip types is an endless one and I fall on the side of edges vs blades but to each his own.

What might decide the blade type that I buy is the applications its used for among many other factors.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Very nice truck! I like it alot. Best of luck with it. Have you considered putting on a set of chrome wheel caps?? I know its a work truck and all, but the chrome wheel caps would really dress that beauty up and make it look even better. Keep us posted on what brand plow you go with and post pics of the truck and plow together. :drinkup: Mike

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Blizzard would be a great snowplow to put on that truck. You should most likly go 10ft with the plow size. i know i would.:)

11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Nice truck JD,im glad you went with the F-550 and the powerstrokes a great engine.Go with the Blizzard 8/11 you might as well get the plow thats gonna last.I just got a truck not to long ago with the blizzard 810 I cant wait to try it out!

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Nice job, JD.

Whichever plow you look at, find out the working width at full angle, make sure it exceeds the track width of the rear axle. This is where my problem is, my plow angles so sharp I lose work width and trail through the windrow.

13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

my chevy 3500 has dual wheels and the 8ft Meyer is to small. one thing you gotta make sure when getting a plow is getting the correct size. i like bigger snowplow like 9ft and bigger but thats me:redbounce

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yep, 8' on a DRW truck is definitely too small. 8.5' is the minimum I believe you should have on a dually truck, 9' is probably ideal. You gotta keep in mind when you angle the plow fully to one side its not as wide as it was when straight. Then you also gotta keep in mind that when you are cutting the wheel, that your back wheels arent ending up in the snow, the plow you choose should be wide enough to cover this. Mike

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

JD, how's the truck working out?

Any decision on a plow yet?

16. johngus

johngus Senior Member

hey meyer 22288,if you get a bigger plow,let me know,I'm looking for an 8 foot meyer blade.my 7.5 is a bit small for my Suburban.

17. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ok buddy ill let you know when i get a bigger plow blade.

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD I was wounderin why you wanted a rugby body?I never really liked they way there headboard designs are set up.I like the airflow or the new iroquos body is nice.

19. JD PLOWER

Cat I didn't have much of a choice when it came to the manufacturer. If I wanted a new 02 I pretty much had to go with what was out there. I called and emailed more than a few dealers and got three replies, all 550's with rugby dumps. Honestly the body doesn't really concern me that much, it holds plenty of material (it will hold more when I get the extensions put on) and won't be spending as much time dumping as it will plowing and spreading.

Pelican I have not made a decision when it comes a plow but I will be calling some dealers soon for prices. The dump got its first real work today hauling stumps and yard waste down at my parents place on the cape. Worked fine except when I dropped the tailgate and it hit the pintle hitch :realmad: .

20. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

JD, I had the same problem on my F-350 and the guy that was using the truck to dump bent the tailgate to heck. When I got the new F-450 they had made some angled brackets on each side of the Pintle hitch to keep the tailgate out away from the top of the pintle. I can try to get a picture today to show you what they did if you would like.