1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck won't start.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Yobrow, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Yobrow

Yobrow Junior Member
    from Maine

I am very much a newb as I have only used my plow twice, so I'm not sure if this is a common problem. Both times that I have used the plow, I parked the truck right after and when I went back out next day to start it, I needed to jump the truck. When I got the plow installed, the dealer told me that the battery I had in the truck was old and wouldn't be up to the task of plowing so the battery in the truck is brand new. I'm pretty sure nothing is shorting out because it only does this after I use the plow. What I'm getting at is: should I let the truck run for a little while after using the plow to let the battery charge back up? Is that normal or should I have my alt checked? BTW: '03 F-250, Blizzard 800HD Any input is appreciated.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You may have other issues also, but yes, it is always a good idea to let your truck run for a bit at an elevated idle after you have shut off all power accessories, to help replenish the battery. Try that and then see if it continues. Is your plow control wired into a switched circuit? Could they be powered on all the time by mistake?

3. Yobrow

Yobrow Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks, I'll make sure to let it charge back up from now on. I went out an jump started it again and I'm letting it idle for a little bit. When I jumped it though, it raised another question. Just judging by how happily it started when I hooked up the jumper cables, there was clearly enough existing amperage in the battery to turn the motor over. Would it make any sense that there's a voltage cut-off in the starting system of an '03 F-250? The truck also has an aftermarket remote starter made by Autostart. Could that be the culprit?