1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck won't start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Reggie, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Reggie

Reggie Junior Member
    from Indiana

My truck, a 02 Dodge Ram 1500, sat in my driveway for the last 2 months while I was working out of town. I tried to start my truck a couple of days ago. Nothing happened. I put in a new battery & ignition switch. Again nothing. When I turn the key to run and/or start, nothing. The gauges don't even work. I checked all the fuses & they are all okay. Anyone have any ideas on what this may be???

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Did you check oil? Hopefullly it's not seized!!!!

3. ajslands

Could be a starter or solenoid.

4. ajslands

Could be spark plugs..

5. ajslands

Is their even a click when you try to start it?

6. ajslands

I wish b&b would chime in just to confirm any of my guesses.

7. Reggie

Reggie Junior Member
    from Indiana

No, nothing

8. Reggie

Reggie Junior Member
    from Indiana

I don't know. With the key on, when I use a jumper wire in the fuse & relay center it will crank.

9. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

I would start checking the wiring harness to see if some animals chewed it while it was sitting. Pull the fuse relay center and check for corrosion

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection at the battery. trust me.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Animals or a bad connection somewhere, otherwise you'd be getting something somewhere

12. TBElectric

TBElectric Junior Member

Ignition switch on the steering column under the dash is almost definitely your problem. is probable. Definitely check the power distribution box. The main fuse to the box is also a definite possibility I know I am new here but guys you have to read what the OP posts. Being low on oil will not cause the instrument lights not to come on when turning the ignition to the run position.

13. BakerSmith

BakerSmith Junior Member

First check the engine oil level. This engine oil level dip stick is usually indicated by a yellow handle. There are two level indicator marks on the dip stick, upper level and lower level. The distance in between these marks represents one quart, if the oil is in between the marks the level is ok. If the oil level is below the lower level mark or not on the dip stick at all engine oil must be added until oil is between the inductor lines. Use a shop towel is wipe the excess oil from the dip stick and random drips.

14. fordzilla

fordzilla Member

not real framiliar with the dodges but it could be with the starter solenoid thats what always happened in my fords