1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck won't start... need help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Andy96XLT, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Today was not a good day for me... I pulled up to my house to plow my driveway and towards the end I ended up blowing a hydraulic line, OK no big deal, I had all the parts to fix it so shut off the truck and repaired it. Went to turn the truck on again and no crank. Lights work, radio works, but no click. OK the starter went. Went out and got a new starter, installed it, same thing, no crank, no click. Checked the relay on the fender and from the tests in the Haynes manual it looked like it was bad. So I just waste money on a new starter no big deal. Went out and got a new relay, hooked her up and still nothing. What else should I be looking at? I looked through the haynes manual again and it talks about a neutral safety switch on the transmission but doesn't give any other info. Anyone else have this issue? The truck started absolutely no problem up until today. I am lost.

BTW its a 1995 F250 with the 5.8L gas and I believe the E4OD overdrive trans.

Thanks guys!
  2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'd start by checking your fuses, including the big master fuses under the hood.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try starting in neutral. Will it crank if you jump the relay?
  4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

checked the only fuse that has to do with the starter which is one of the maxi fuses under the hood and that was fine. Also tried to start in neutral and still no luck.... I jumped the relay and got nothing there either. I didn't try to give 12V to the "s" port on the relay though, i'll have to try that and Tomorrow I plan on bench testing the starter to make sure its not bad out of the box but it doesn't seem like it would be...
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If it doesn't crank when you jump the relay you have bad cable or bad starter. If you have a test light or voltmeter check for 12v on battery side of relay. Also can check signal wire for power while you are at it.
  6. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

well looks like it was a combination of problems which always makes things difficult. The solenoid/relay was bad but also it looks like my neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. Today while changing parts around I was able to jump the relay and get the truck started, then just for fun i tried to start it with the key and it wouldn't start in the park position but it will start in the neutral position.... Go figure... anyway at least now I can drive the truck until I have a better day to figure out how to adjust the neutral safety switch.

Thanks everyone!
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Block wheels, place in D, hang a few pounds from the shift lever, loosen the adjustment lock clip on the trans switch, let it fall into its natural position, reclip the lock clip, adjust the gauge under the dash as appropriate. This only works if it is slightly off and everything is tight. Before you start you can verify it is out by looking for the park and N notches on the switch.

Another possibility could be that the shift lever in the column has worn bushings which is common creating and out of adjustment.
  8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

well i fixed this today. It ended up being something completely dumb... one of the bolts that connects the selector to the metal underdash was very loose and the other bolt completely fell out so it was just a matter of putting in the bolt that was on the floor and tightening the other. Problem solved :)