1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck wont shut off !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

LOL, its always me.

1996 chevy 2500 4x4 diesel.

I drove the truck this morning, everything was just fine, so I thought.
    When I went to turn the truck off,,,,,,,,,,, SHE STAYED ON !

I pulled the fuel solenoid fuse out & truck shut off immediatley, however, the lights on the dashboard cluster remained on when I took the key out.(check gauges, parking brake, engine light, abs) etc etc.

I then pulled out the ignition fuse while the truck was still off.
    Once I did that, all the lights in the cluster turned off,,, now I know atleast the batteries wont drain out overnight...

Im thinking its the ignition switch,,,,,

Could the ignition switch be stuck in the on position ??? & thats why the lights remained on even when the truck shut down by pulling the fuse. ???

I had a few issues about a week or so ago that when I went to turn the key to start the truck, it would just click & not turn over. I imeediately proceeded to change the starter, Im almost thinking the starter wasnt the problem,,, & it was the ignition switch.

Ive been told that the main ground wire looks a little corroded,,

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Well the ground wire should be replaced. BUT that isn't causing your issue. Also if the starter clicked but didn't turn over it was probably the starter solenoid. You could have just replaced the solenoid but hind sight is 20/20. As for your currant issue. I would bet it is an ignition switch. They are usually pretty cheap. Go buy one and stuff it in and hope for the best.

3. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Just keep it full of fuel then it will be ready all winter.

4. auto tech

auto tech Junior Member

bad igniition switch is correct very common that vintage

5. Sealer People

Thanks for the help guys, especially you Boris "marmaluk" j/k

Its a $300.00 part (taxes in)

& 1.5 hrs labour to install.

Almost $500 canadian after taxes.

Just wonderingnow,,, could this have anything to do with the truck not getting any heat ?

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

7. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

8. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

the contact rod maybe all that is stuck behind the wheel cylinder, check and lube it first

9. Sealer People

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

This is so weird.
    When went to bring the plow in with the truck, they moved the power source to the plow to a fuse that would shut off when the truck was off. This way the battery wouldnt drain if the plow switch was left "ON".

Since then, is when these problems of the truck not shutting off started.
    I figured the ignition switch.

Earlier today, I shut the truck off as normal by pulling the ignition fuse.
    A few hours later, I totally forgot the I had to put the fuse back in to start the truck due to force of habit I guess.

I get in the truck, turn the key,,,,,, and she starts. I soon remembered that there was no fuse (still in my pocket)

I turn the key back & the truck shuts down as if everything is normal again.

I think, the guy who serviced my plow, put a fuse in for the ignition. This fuse is giving constant power to the ignition therefore never letting it shut down.

Anyways, could it be possible that the fuse is by passing the trucks fnction to turn off ?
    Should the fuse not be there to begin with ? Its in the engine compartment.

I havent put the fuse back in & shes starting & stopping just fine all day.

Any thoughts ?