1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck won't run

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Waterchikn, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Hey all, had the weirdest thing happen.... I was doing some PM to the ole ford and when I was changing the plugs, I did the easiest one last, so I thought. It broke off inside the motor. Nothing to grab and turn it. I took it to a couple of shops and they all said the motor had to be taken apart...yada yada yada.
    I start messing around with it myself and get the plug out, it wasn't easy, but it did eventually come out. I drive to the parts store to get the rest of my things for my tune-up and when I go back out to the parking lot, the truck won't run. It turns over, but no spark, and now I have just learned there is no power to the fuel pump. I changed the modual that is attached to the distributor, but nothing. I am lost. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Help and thanks.

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I would check out the condition of your plug wires, could be a bad wire. Failing that it could be something inside the distributor.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You've got to trace out the ignition. Start with the coil, is there power there with the switch on? Is the cap contact to the rotor OK? I had an intermittent problem with my old truck that ended up being a broken wire on the impulse sensor at the base of the distributor.

4. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Tomorrow when I go out, I will check for power at the coil. I just don't understand why there is no power at the fuel pump now. I am starting to think it might be my computer.... maybe???

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't believe the power for the fuel pump would run through the computer. I missed that part on your first post, check that your ignition switch is sending power out in the "run" position.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Maybe just maybe this vehicle has an inertia switch and it got popped somehow? Longshot but worth a look. Check fuses and check the fuel pump relay also. Mike

7. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Ineria switch

I thought that might have been the problem. I jumpered it out to eliminate it for now, because I didn't want to check it as of yet.
    The thing that realy gets me is that when I drove it after fixing the sparkplug problem, it ran perfect. I am just wondering if maybe something happened when I was running the truck on 7 plugs....don't know. The relay checks out ok, when I was at the parts store, the guy let me try a new relay without paying for it, in case that wasn't the problem, I wouldn't be able to return it. I do appreciate all the replys from you guys....that rules. I am going to do as you have suggested, and update from there...
    Should I send power to the fuel pump directly??? Thought this might answer some questions, but then again, I am not getting spark....I just don't know. Thanks in advance for any more info!!!!!

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The inertia switch, if it has one, is not hard to check, just see if it got popped up. Try pushing it down and then try to start it, if it even has one. You say you have no spark AND no fuel? If you have neither, Id gues a bad ignition module, I believe it controls both. What year and model vehicle, Ford what? What motor is in it? Distributorless? Mike

9. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Details

I guess I should have put that info in...sorry
    it is a 1990 F-250 4X4
    with 5.8L motor
    It has an inertia switch that I did bypass.
    Changed the ignition control modual
    Changed fuel pump relay
    Going to check inline fuses tomorrow as well.
    Hope this helps you help me!! and thanks again.....

10. bgrover

bgrover Member

I had a '92 Taurus 3.0L, I know it's different but, the electric fan's high speed winding shorted out and would blow a 60A fuse under the hood. This fuse ran the fan, fuel pump and electric windows. Once I traced it to the fan and replaced it never had any more problems.

Then again, you said that you bypassed the intertal switch, maybe it's bad.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

It wouldn't be the inertia switch as it has nothing to do with the ignition system.

The ignition module does not control the fuel pump either.

There are no fuses for the ignition or fuel pump,only fusible links.

The power for most of the computer system,ignition system,and the fuel pump,all come through a large yellow wire and fusible link,off the starter relay.It is VERY common for this wire to corrode badly at certain connections and then when your under the hood working,it gets disturbed and breaks the wire.

Easiest way to check would be to look at both the fuel pump and EEC power relay,right beside the air cleaner,and one of the four wires going to each should be a large yellow.Check it for power,with the truck off.If you have power,it's OK,if you don't then start tracing back to the starter solenoid,and check the fusible link.Most corrosion problems happens,and the wire breaks around the drivers inner fender,under the brake booster.I'm not talking visible connection either,these are hidden junctions Ford uses,and you have to open the harness to get to them.

To quickly get the truck running,you can back feed the circuit by powering the yellow wire at the fuel pump relay,with a jumper wire.

12. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Update

Well, I have an update, it isn't good, or bad I guess. I really do appreciate all the time that you guys take to help me out...
    I did some more trouble shooting today..all day. Checking links and that.. can't find anything. It seems that I do have a little spark in the coil, but from one guy that looked at it said the spark looked "Weak" ?? don't know what that means.
    All the "fuseable links" have power, but when I get to the fuel pump relay, there is no power. I had power there this morning, and something happened and now there is no power. I am probably going to bite the bullet and take it up to a shop in the morning. This makes me feel real stupid, but I don't have a clue.
    I found a corroded wire in the front of the truck and fixed it but it didn't make a difference. I honestly can't wait to know what the problem is now, cause its realy buggin the pi$$ outa me.
    Again, guys, thanks for your help....

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have no power at the fuel pump relay (on the large yellow wire),then the wire is broken or corroded somewhere between the corresponding fusible link and the relay.Leave a test light connected at the fuel pump relay and wiggle the harness,you may see the light flash annd be able to locate where it's broken.Like I mentioned above,you can run a jumper wire from the battery to the yellow wire at the relay,and it should run.Then you will at least be able to drive it.

If you need more info PM or e-mail me,or post here.

14. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Jumper wire

Oh yeah..forgot to mention. I did jump a wire right from the battery over to the relay, but nothing happened. I know, that due to the fact that I found one wire that was in bad shape, I am sure there are more. THanks again for the replies, they are great. I also have the good diagnostic book from ford, so that kinda helps find things. Its getting old, fast. Thanx again!!!!!!
    Oh yeah...
    Free dinner for 2 for the person who solves my little mystery.
    I will be fair too!!!

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If you ran power directly to the relay and it did not trigger, then you either have a bad ground to the relay or a bad relay.

If you are bypassing the switching portion of the relay and hooking directly to the fuel pump lead with no results, check ground for the fuel pump or a break in the wire between the relay and pump.

16. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Update

IT RUNS NOW!

After a few weeks of bummin rides and making excuses, it runs now. All the help that everyone has offered has been great, and I really do appreciate everyones effort, especially fordhipo.
    He is the man, I had a couple people over to look at the truck, but when he showed up, it took him about an hour to figure it out. I am forever in debt to him now!! He found a broken wire and a distributor problem that was my fault. He is the winner of the free dinner for sure. I just wanted to make it known that he really did hook me up. Smart guy with the right tools, can't beat it.

Again thanx for your help everyone. Now the summer season is on the horizon and not as many people will be checking in here, but I am going to every once in a while, maybe I can help someone. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Very kind of members to show up at your place to fix it. :drinkup: