1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck won't run since alternator swap

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Edgewater, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Hi,

I just change the alt in an 83 C-3500 w/454. The alt was making alot of noise and the bearings were shot. Since the new one went in, the truck will not run. It started and ran for 10 seconds or so, and the rebuilt alternator seemed to whine a lot. Now it will not start, it seems like it is not firing.

The alternator is the same one that I brought in for the rebuild. It is a large unit (old fire truck) and was done by a very good rebuild shop.

One thing I did notice is that the fan and pulley on the alternator are magnetic. I have never seen that before. Any ideas?

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It sounds like you may have popped a fuseable link. Start doing voltage checks...Rob

3. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Possible since I caused the Ècharging wire to arc while installing it. What should I check for voltage?

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Go through the fuse block and see if your missing power, if so your prob going to find youve got a bad link. Btw from now on disconnect the ground from the battery when ever your doing any work on the electrical system......Rob

5. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Got it all set, the shop set it up for a one wire system, mine was two wire

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another tip:
    Disconnect the battery when fixing the charging system or installing starters.