1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck won't restart?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turfman15, Nov 30, 2006.

1. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

I have a 1995 f250 with a 460 in it. after it has been running a while it won't restart. all it will do is crank over real slow. it seems like the starter is drawing too much power. does anyone have any advice for me? the start was just replaced and the battery an alternator have both been tested and they are good. any help would be good.
    thanks
    scott

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Timing? Sometimes they roll over hard, when out of time. But not sure with a newer ford.
    Maybe the starter is getting too hot. Did you check to see if you are getting fuel, when it cranks?

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Cranks fine when cold? But, when hot it cranks very slow?

Starter, solenoid or battery cabels going to the starter/solenoid. Something in this electrical chain is near failing and causes the draw.

4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

kick the timing back or even take out the little plug that you remove to set the timing to test it out.
    When removing the little plug will take out about 10 degrees of timing.

The big blocks tend to take a lot to turn over hot

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sound to me like heat soak to the starter. Do you have headers or stock exhaust? My dump did that when headers went on. An after market stainless steel heat shield for the starter cured it.

6. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

thanks for the replys. i will try the heat shield thing and see if that works. it is going to the shop to get insprected on monday and i will have the starter test then. thanks for the help.
    scott

7. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

one more thing to check is the grounds they may look good but take them off and clean them up real good. hope it helps.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think it's a heat load that makes it a slow turn. That's why I just leave mine run the whole time it's working. A heat shield should do the trick.