1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck will NOT move ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redvetracr, Mar 12, 2003.

1. redvetracr

redvetracr Junior Member
    from WI

I have an`82 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 plow truck (automatic), it NEVER leaves my driveway, as i was plowing snow last week I stopped to put it into reverse and the truck would not move (in any gear). Question is, if I broke the transfer case chain will the truck move in 2wd?? I did hear something whipping around under the truck which leads me to think "chain". Has anyone changed a chain (in the truck)?? and how difficult is it?? THANKS in advance!!
    ...redvetracr :confused:
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

See my reply to your other post for more info.

Are you sure it's the chain ? It should move in 2WD even with a broken chain,unless it's jammed up inside the t-case.Maybe you lost the tranny ? Or it's (the t-case) popped into neutral and grinding ?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

id try putting the truck in park first,try to roll the truck,against the park gear ,if the park gear holds, the t case is at least in gear,and you likely blew the trans or are out of fluid.
    If the truck rolls,get the t case in gear and try it again,it may have just popped out of gear.