1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck will not idle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

96 1500, drove it 1 mile and then stopped started it back up and it quit twice in parking lot, stalled again on the road at stop light, thought it was gas put 13 gallons in it and it quit 1 mile later in parking lot. wonder what it could be? throttle position senor? or fuel pump or fuel filter? now if i started it up let sit for less than 1 minute it just quits or if i start it up put it in Drive or Reverse it quits.

yesterday drove truck 1 and half hours and it was fine, the day before drove it 2 and half hours and it was fine.
    :mechanic:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

batt didnt go dead did it ? if so its in the relearn mode drive it a bit. if not hook up a good scanner and see what sensor is not giving the correct info.

dont just toss parts at it. it will cost you to much in the end.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When it "stalled", would it stay running if you kept your foot on the gas? Or was it flat out dead?

4. DareDog

battery was put in the winter of 09 January of 09 everstart battery it was fun night -8 below and windy and battery dies

would OBD tester tell me the code since there is no check engine light on?

it just dies i do not have time to give it gas,

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  5. sweetk30

some codes will NOt turn on a check engine light.

but your best bet is a full on shop scanner. and mabye even a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure as these motors req a specific psi and if not there it wont run worth a crap at all.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd be checking that fuel pump first.

7. DareDog

just went out and it will not turn over, it just cranks and cranks......one time it did start up and i gave it gas and died.

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Check fuel pressure. Should be 60ish with engine off. If it isn't, it's time for a fuel pump.

If the fuel pressure is ok, scan test and pay close attention to mass airflow sensor.

9. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

More importantly, watch the fuel pressure as you crank it and the motor tries to start.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Will it run on ether? Even for just a few seconds?

11. DareDog

the fuel pump turns on and it not the normal noise, it very faint sounding. it will turn over after a while and with my foot on the gas at 1500-1800 rpms it runs and if i left off the gas it dies or some times it dies with my foot on the gas.

12. sweetk30

just cause you here it dont mean its building pressure.

and if it dosnt sound normal then its prob shot.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck.....:confused:

14. DareDog

Update turns out to be bad gas. put new fuel filter it and throttle position sensor and it got worse.. put bottles of iso heat sea foam and 2 things of STP treatment and truck runs like a top mow.

15. DareDog

Well The truck is dead on the side of the road. Waiting for tow truck now. Think there is a ton of water in the tank.

16. DareDog

Think now it's the fuel pump going to drop the tank....fun its got 3/4 had left in it.

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Way to many bottles at once ..

18. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

My exact thoughts. Not to mention that anything with isypropel alcohol will only make the situation worse with todays ethanol "enhanced" gasolines.

19. DareDog

how do i drain the tank? i put hose in it and it stops half way, hook the fuel pump up to it and it works then stops, how do i bypass the fuel pump relay?

20. DareDog

I believe i have over 20 gallons of bad gas in my tank . I want to pump out the fuel by removing the fuel line and pumping into a tank by turning on the key . the pump only runs for a few seconds and shuts off, as the relay tells the computer the truck is not running and shuts off the pump.

what pins on the relay can i connect to bypass this safety feature and jumper across the relay to pump out the tank?