1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck whining

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

My 04 GMC 2500HD is making a pretty serious whining noise under the hood. I think I have narrowed it down to the power steering pump.

My question is there any way to tell if I need to change the pulley or the entire pump itself?

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Did you add fluid to it? I have slow leaks in my two 2005's and they always whine. Actually they have been whining for like 30k miles each.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Squirt a little water on the belt while it's running. If the whining goes away, it's the belt or a pulley.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If your hearing a whining, its the pump. Check the fluid, it may be low. Is the power steering becoming less responsive, especially at low engine speeds? If the fluid is low, add more fluid and find the leak. These trucks seem to love blowing power steering hoses.