1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck weight observations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tarkus, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I weighed my truck and axles without plow on and with it on and about 600 lbs of ballast in sandbags between wheel wells in bed. (I usually have salt in there to but this is minumum operating weight with plow and one person in truck.)

Truck is a 99 GM K3500 / Std Cab SRW w/ 350 & 4L80E

Weight without plow and no ballast

Front 3400 lbs
    Rear 2700 lbs
    Total 6100 lbs

With Fisher HD 8 ft with MM1 mounted on truck & 600lb ballast

Front 4520 lbs
    Rear 2980 lbs
    Total 7500 lbs

With plow on ground, rear axle weight is 3200 lbs before I add salt which is usually at least 1200 to 1500 pounds and sometimes more.

For what it is worth. :waving:

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Just did mine too. Took a load of scrap steel (grape posts) in for a friend.

1982 K3500 dump with transplanted TBI 383 and SM465, nearly full tank of gas, 1997 Boss Power V, 9'-2" hanging on the nose, and no ballast (this was tare weight after dumping the load).

Scale works in 10 lb increments.

Tare Weight=8600lbs ---> Includes me, subtract about 285.

I typically would keep another ton of ballast on board... be it gravel or this year--salt bags. For the only one of my contracts where I spread salt regularly, I also tow a 2500lb. trailer with a 3-4000lb tractor and spreader.

Basically, this means my complete setup at that point weighs in around 17,000 lbs. :eek: Good thing its the first job of the night, then it gets dropped off at home! :nod:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Where do you guys get the time? I find myself too busy to do things like this and just use simple math too check an approximate weight. If I am concerned after that make the proper modifications to the truck! It shouldn't take a board on the net to tell anyone what the weight limits are it's pasted on the drivers door of every truck out there. If not do a search and find out. This board is fastly becoming something for the newbie and nothing for the experienced.
    When an experienced person does reply to a post we only get bashed or slammed. So who cares? Figure it out and do a search! :angry: for yourselves.

4. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Ron u said u were leavin this board along time ago but ur still here making ur comments about this board.. why be so negative about everything were suppose 2 be here 2 help people out..

5. RON66106

RON66106 Member

BECAUSE OF THE STUPID REMARKS I RECEIVED! I have more experience than most of the people on this board and received only Wise ass remarks instead of reasonable questions. This only fired up my emotions and sent me on some missions. I will be the LOW BALLER who under bids you because I have less overhead and a bigger bank account I am a legitimate business owner and have never been sued in over 30 years because of common sense ( do the job as the weather dictates) I was told " I hope you paid your insurance "
    What a joke I started with my dad's push mower mowing lawn and the only thing I had to start snow removal was my dad's shovel I have worked harder than most of you and probally had More back surgeries in the last year. I post a reply and only get some newbie smart ass replying to his particular situation and they are to tunnel-visioned to see the whole picture.I have worked for the last 30 plus years and fought for everything. I see nothing but a bunch of whiners and criers on this site who are too afraid to stand up and take control of there lives. There are several who hide behind there keyboards and will not show there face or speak in the same manner as they do on this board face to face.So you ask me why I just don't leave I have the American spirit and will not quit. Let them kick me off but someone will still have to deal with me later. Let them pry my gun from my dead body,I stand up for not only my rights but stand for more than most of you ******** typing bastards.
    So yes I am pissed off and have an attitude.........most of you brought it on by listening (bashing) Too much broadcasting and not enough listing in. Any thing else? Ron :angry:

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ron,

No need to type all potty mouth on us. :)

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm. Is that a NO?

8. RON66106

RON66106 Member

See what I mean?

9. derekbroerse

Dear Mr. Experienced,

Obviously you aren't experienced enough to know when its best to keep your mouth shut. Where do I find the time? Easy! I was sitting on the scale waiting to get paid! You'd know that if you read the post instead of the title. Thought I'd post the results b/c people were talking about truck weights for comparison etc. The truck is more than physically able to handle the weight and if I chose to I could legally license it up to 25k lbs here if I felt like paying all the fees that go along with it. Incidentally, since my truck is 24 years old, do you really think there is a sticker still inside my door, even if there ever was?

Like BOSS Adam, I too thought you said you were leaving and not coming back. Personally, I never noticed any of your posts until that day... but I sure notice every one since was nothing but a bash of people and the board in general.

Am I a newbie? No. Am I 40 years experienced? No.

Quite frankly, why did you bother posting at all? If you are sitting there shaking your head and rolling your eyes at us for talking about the weight of the trucks and the physics involved and have no time to do things properly (only approximate) then why do you have the time to sit here and rant about how stupid the world is? For that matter, why are you wasting your precious experienced time reading other people's posts at all?

Seriously, I have no beef with you, but from what I have seen lately, the only person consistantly bashing people and flaming is YOU! If anyone is looking for information and has to beg it out of someone like you then it just isn't worth it. They don't ask questions to hear about how wonderful and experienced you are.

If you really are leaving, then **** off and go already and quit bitching how much this board sucks.

:yow!:

10. RON66106

RON66106 Member

No thanks let them kick me off ! :angry: I thought I was giving good information at first now I wil lbe a pain like most on this board. Ron

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  11. derekbroerse

I see you are up to a whopping 51 posts. Is it a safe bet to assume that half of those are nothing but useless bs posts like the four you've made in this thread?

12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Thats a good reply to Mr. expierenced RON. On a different note. You say that you could haul 25,000 pounds with a one ton chevy? Please be honest and use your common sense, as you know that is not possible.

13. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Where do you get your information I have never owned a Chevy?

14. derekbroerse

Mark,

I didn't say it was a smart thing to do, I said it could be done legally. In Ontario, MTO says with a standard 'G' class license (general), a vehicle can be licensed to carry up to 11000kg (24,200lbs) GCVW. There are length restrictions on the trailer that would bump it up to an 'A' license but mine is within limits.

Remember, that is COMBINED vehicle weight (includes truck, trailer, and loads).

As far as capability, it really wouldn't surprise me if it could but I really don't wanna try it. If its already around the 17k mark, sitting level with lots of suspension travel left (not stock leafs), and no problems with braking (remember, trailer has four-wheel brakes too), I wouldn't doubt it could do more.

15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ron, if you don't like what you read then take a hint from the title of the post and don't read it. That should save you some time seeing as you don't have enough anyway. These boards are here to post whatever people want to post. I think that the weight issue is actually important and interesting. A lot of people don't get the importance of ballast and it is good to see real numbers. Tarkus- that's interesting. Your plow weights 800 lbs, but it added 1120 to the front axle of your truck. Either that or the sand also added weight to the front. The sand only added 280 to the rear, or more likely the plow took away weight from the rear axle. Goes to show that the farther to the rear ballast gets the better off you are. Also seems that the plow adds more weight to the front axle than what it actually weighs. Thanks, Nick.

16. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Your exactly right but so many times there are bashing reply and if it makes people send those kind of replies then why bother that my point exactly. Thanks Ron

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It is in the humble heart that wisdom is found.

Abe always said...."It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Ron, I don't know what thread started you on your rant, but please act your age.

18. btrussell

btrussell Member

Just my opinion

Hey guys, I am a newbie to this site and I have learned quite a bit from all of you who are experienced. I enjoy reading all th post even if they don't pretain to me. I have seen very little "bashing" until this past week. I have only been here for about 3 weeks mind you. I know this post was only about truck weight and I'm not trying to stick my nose in everyone elses bussiness I'm just saying that some of you guys can have hot heads but its understandable with the stuff you all go through. Post like the ones I just read were the most bashing that I have seen and it was from experienced plowers. Like I said before you guys gie great advice and I'm not here to bash anyone. I'm not even a commercial plower just do a few drive ways of those I know but hope that in a few years I might try to get some accounts so I found this site and liked it and hopefully all the words of wisdom I have read on here will stick for a long time.

That being said (I don't know why) I have a k1500 with a 7.5 western pro. about 700lbs. I put about 500lbs of ballast (sand filled plastic tubs) against my tail gate and strap them in. Is this enough or should I put some more. I like the idead of making the frame out of wood but that doesnt put it behind the axle. Has anyone made something that keeps the weight behind the axle? I might try something because i dont like the straps. Thanks for the advice and the time you guys take to answer these questions.
    Brian

19. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

good grief, I am tired of the back and forth bulls hit
    [​IMG]

20. derekbroerse

When I first bought my '86 S15 2wd back in '97, I built a 2x4 framework that fit between the wheelwells and the tailgate for the winter. I packed it full of bricks sitting on their sides. The nice thing about that was it was still a flat surface, if you needed the space you could use it. The following year I added a toolbox. But the very best I've had (though I doubt many people will find them laying around) are these flat cast-iron counterweights from an elevator that was being demolished. They are a few inches thick, maybe a foot wide by two feet long--gotta weigh around 300 lbs a piece (two people to move them without killing yourself). I had two of them in the box, worked excellent.

The only places I can think of to find them would be a scrap metal dealer or an Otis dealer/repair shop.