1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck was totaled...Engine question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMatt13, Mar 14, 2007.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I was in a head-on accident 10 days ago. I walked away clean and so did the other party. Lots of insurance problems as usual. Actually the only problem was they didn't have any:realmad: . Anyway I bent the frame ont the driver side, tore the wheel off. The frame was pushed in so much, it pushed the front diff into my oil pan and filter crushing that. Cracked my transmission, and offset my cab by a good distance. Like I said I walked away clean, just sore. Glad I drove a big truck. Anyway, I'm looking at my next chevy and it has an 8.1L and Allison in it..what kinda mileage these things get. BTW, it has a 3.73 rear end.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey man damn shame on your accident. Do you have any pics of your truck? The truck your looking at with the 8100 in it you'll be at about 10 miles to the gallon. It is a little worse than the 6.0 liter. My cousin has it in his truck and he wishes he had the 6.0 but he hauls a big camper trailer and also a small backhoe so he get a little worse mileage than if you weren't hauling trailers. Hope this helps and sorry to hear about your accident.

Ryan

3. SnowMatt13

Yep, I got pictures. Getting them on here might take me a couple of days, I'll see what I can do. If I'm a few miles off fromt the 6.0, that's fine. I do some towing/hauling and of course plowing! So that doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't 6 mpg or anything like that.

4. dirthog

dirthog Junior Member

8.1 engine

Have a 1 ton dulley with that in with 4.10 as long as you keep your foot out of it:) to bad I get around 11 with the a 35ft camper it does drop to about 8-9 but you can run 65-70 or more where ever you want to go

5. '02 8.1L w/ 5spd Allison and 3.73s....9-10.5mpg mixed cty/hwy.

8.5-10mpg running around with plow and 500lb ballast.

6.5mpg actually plowing.

Have'nt done a total highway tank yet...but imagine 10-11mpg. I'll be towing a 5000lb trailer to Myrtle Beach from NY in a few weeks...I'll let you know how I do towing when I return.

6. SnowMatt13

Most of my driving will be local, and I do tow frequently. As far as long trips go, not too often. Thanks for the quick responses:)