1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck wants to stall

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by B&E snowplowing, Aug 8, 2010.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

I have a 94 GMC Suburban 5.7 Litre with 370000k. The truck starts idles and runs great however, when driving slow or just applying the gas the truck starts to spit and sputter, sounds like it is going to stall but never does.

The easiest way to try to explain it is when your driving thru a drive thru and your just applying enough gas to get to the speaker or window, the truck starts to spit and sputter, but again never stalls. Step on the gas and away it goes, like nothing is wrong.

The check engine light is not coming on, I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV air filter, fuel filter, I have run a can of fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system (thought maybe I had a TBI problem). I replace the fuel pump and sending unit last month.

Because of the year of the truck, I can't find anyone who will read the computer, without taking it to shop and paying huge dollars, so I thought I would check here first in case I am missing something.

2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

try cleaning the throttle plate with throttle body cleaner
  3. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

My truck is doing the exact same thing, however mine is a 92 GMC 2500, same motor, and I've changed the same things. I picked the truck up about a year ago and its done it everyday since, never stalls but comes close. Once I give it a little throttle it clears up and runs perfectly fine. Even idles fine. I am interested to see what others on here have to say about this problem you and I seem to be having.
  4. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

Well then lets hope someone chimes in and gives us some ideas, cause I am stumped.:dizzy:
  5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Make no difference unless at idle. So thats not gona help in this case.His problem is off idle.

Reading data on a scan tool maybe the only way to get a clue whats happening with out acutually driving it personally. U can have lots of problems and it wont put the light on with a pre odb vehicle. But a simple look at the data might point u in the right direction.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i am not familiar at all with your year however i would suggest replacing the distributor as a cousin of mine had a (i believe) 99 suburban, i know it had a 5.7, not sure if it was a vortec or what but his did the same thing yours is doing when his had 190,000+ on it. he put a used distributor in it and then sold the suburban after it hit 220,000+
  7. honda12967

honda12967 Member

we had a truck come into my shop with similar problems,it turned out to be intake manifold gaskets. Take a can of carb cleaner and get a good stream onto the gasket its self, i had the truck hooked up to a scanner when i did it but, listen to hear any changes in how it runs if it revs up a little bit that's the problem. They will usually suck air and cause it to run like s***.