1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck tyoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bmh1202, Oct 1, 2001.

1. bmh1202

bmh1202 Junior Member

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site, but have been plowing for a guy for 3 yrs using one of his old Dodge power wagons. Thing is a beater, but will push anything. This year, I'm going out on my own. I'm able to use one of his trucks, but am looking for my own. My question is which would be better? Chevy 2500 ext cab with 7.5' Western already on it, or chevy 3500 4x4 dump w/o any plow yet. If I go that route, I'm considering a Western or Sno-way. The dealer that has the truck sells Fisher plows, but I don't hear favorable feedback on them. Any suggestion?

Also, I have 2 Army Reserve center lots lined up- (15-20k square ft each) and 3 mini-mart lots. Has anyone worked w/ Federal govt and there payments. I'm told they pay by credit card each time. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them.

I've learned a great deal from this site, keep up the good work!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

bmh1202 - welcome to Plowsite. My vote is the 3500 4x4, most definitely. Put a Fisher v-plow on it for those lots. The dump is a bonus if you decide to put a sander on it. No positive feedback on Fisher??? Fisher is one of the top three or four brands on here. Most government agencies are set up to pay by credit card and pay promptly. You will likely need to provide a detailed invoice. There are a couple of people to approve and pay bills, so just make sure you understand and follow instructions for getting paid.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

3500 4x4 would be my choice if possible. If you will have to buy a plow anyway, the V is a wise choice - higher up-front cost will be offset by increased versatility/productivity.

Mind you, I'm saying this without knowing how many $$$ you can invest and what the asking price for the trucks is.

Is it from the dealer that you don't hear favourable feedback on Fisher plows, or people in your area in general? And do the ones knocking them have any experience with them?

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The 3500 is the way to go. I dont know if you are looking at 2001+ of 2000-. If its 2001+ the drivetrain cant be beat, but all GM trucks are a little light in the front. The fisher plow is heavy, and 8.5' is the biggest I would go. Make sure you get the g-80 locker option.
    I have also seen first hand a creasing issue on the back of the fisher v plows, aside from that fisher straight plows are very stout. But they will transfer more stress to the truck thana full trip plow. My personal choice would lean towards the western v plow. Its almost the same plow, but a few crucial design features keep it from creasing. I have 2 western MVP's one is on a 98 K-3500. The front of the 3500 seems to handle the v plow fine, and if need be load boosters and a turn on the torsion bars will help.
    Dino

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

3500 4 by 4 Vplow. i dont know who you talked to, but not many people dislike fisher. i will only put a fisher on and nothing else. from others peoples posts, fisher seems to be their favorite as well.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am not a huge Chevy truck fan but that is not a question here. Of the two I would go with the 3500 dump. If you plan on doing bigger work this truck will be able to handle a v-box, a large plow (Fisher) and heavy towing in the none plowing seasons.

7. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

All I run are Fisher plows and Chevy Trucks , That 3500 should have no problem with a 9' straight or the V plow, the other question about the Federal Goverment, About 90% of our work is for the state, federal or military and the way that the military works is that you have to set up an automatic payment account with your bank and when you send them a bill, they will process it and then will automaticlly deposit the payment into your account. It will take about 45 days and make sure that you have all of your paper work, purchase orders and such or else they will just toss your bill to the side and forget about it. I have been doing federal work for almost 8 years and have good luck with them and very little problems, and some even pay less than 30 days. Just My Two cents

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I plow the post office in town and have never had a problem receiving payments. Of course they never get my bills to my customers on time but what can u do? As a bonus I have picked up a lot of business from the job. I always run my newest or most visual truck there. I give a thunbs up for that kind of work.