1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Tracking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pristine PM ltd, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hi guys,

We are looking at GPS Route tracking on all of our trucks. Anyone do this? We have a great group of guys and this isn't a trust thing or anything, we just want to know where people are on the route as easily as possible and these will act as a security device as well. You can also use them as dispatch.

There are two types, one is a device that connects to the truck and once a week you download to your computer. The other option is live that you check on websites.

Thanks,

Jon

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm contemplating putting it on my salt trucks, just for liability reasons but I think it's a waste of money for the rest of the units. We already have 2-ways and everbody has a cell phone. I don't like locking myself into anymore monthlies, unless it's really going to make me money. Did you get any of my information on the guten?

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You'd have to look into this yourself .... but, several of the cell phone companies offer reverse GPS tracking. Ie. you can pull up a live map or a history map of everywhere the phone has been. I think Disney phones ( no longer doing cell phones ) came out with it first for kid tracking.

4. Pristine PM ltd

We are more concerned with the actual trucks. Not cell phones. If a truck gets stolen or someone "forgets" there cell phone, then that puts everything out.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

first of all, if this is a big issue with you i beleive chevy/gmc offers something like this throuhg on-star

we use to have tracking on our dumptrucks through our 2-way radio company but with the radio and the gps it was ~$100 per month and it was just un-necesary for us

we have several trucks but not near as many as alot of people on PS and no-body else seems to be worried about it, why are you?

i could see it being usefull for a trucking company that had several dozen trucks all over the country but not for a snow company that has 5-6 trucks. maybe you need to put someone in a managment position, and keep better track of youre trucks.

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Chicago streets and sanitation dept has them in all 300+snowplows. Im not sure of the exact units but ill try to find something out..standbye

7. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

8. Pristine PM ltd

Powerjoke, if you read my message, it is nothing about trust. We have great guys, and are very happy with all of them. We are looking for something that can make their lives easier with regard to paperwork. Helps us know what are the most efficient route to use because of the time stamps, and help us if a truck were to ever get stolen. If we know how long each truck is on a property, we know what properties are our best money makers, and we don't have to worry about our guys spending over 30 mins a storm working on simple but time consuming paper work. We also have a bad habit of being in a hurry when we are salting and find that we don't keep track of how long that can take and something like this will be great as we grow.

This brings me to another point. We are growing every year, and even though we have 6 trucks now, we will have 2-4 more by the end of 2008, and 4-8 the following year. This is our plan and and we need to act and make decesions now that will be the basis for our company as we grow. I know you didn't mean to sound rude with your comments, but in the future please re-read what people are asking before you come accross sounding the way you did.

Ultimate Plow, thanks for any info you can pass on.

Oasis, I just checked out the website, and it looks pretty decent. It is also alot cheaper then the boomerang. All in all you would buy one again without shopping around?

Thanks,

Jon

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

For sure, I spoke to guys from Boomarang last year at the Landscaping show and after finding out their cost and the fact that it had to be installed by a mechanic I decided to look further.

I found this company to be nice to deal with and that they have a good product at a good price. I dont know if I would recomend this to people who were mostly worried about theft or vehicle missuse although I guess they are still usefull in these instances, I found these units to be great for tracking when and where vehicles have been. The fact that you can go home and print out a readout of the vehicles route is a nice feature for me.

Anyways hope this helps.

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

two years of research and several trial and errors and this is the best out there. Costly, but with 15-20 trucks running around we find THOUSANDS in missed billables each snowfall due to sloppy or missing paperwork. Working on set-up to launch for spring season.

http://xora.com/

PS. When I show potential customers the great reports for their properties, I will be the high-baller who gets the job.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I wish I saw this earlier

I used to work for www.teletrac.net and I assure they are the most advanced company out there in this field unless things have changed in the last year. They are one of the very early pioneers of this technology (in the commercial industry) and its what MOST of the police and detctives use ACCROSS THE NATION to "Bug" and track vehicles. Thier prices are very affordable and have covereage any where AT&T and cingular have signal. Check em out

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we use fleetmatic in our trucks.works great and easy install.

13. Pristine PM ltd

Thanks so much for all the info. I don't know if we will look into this for this year, but it will be great to figure out exactly what we need over the summer and have this ready to go for the winter.