1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck toolbox

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Sep 21, 2002.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have some thought about getting one of those Weatherguard Low Side toolbox that goes on either driver or passenger side of truck bed. My truck is 2002 Chevy 2500HD extended cab short box (6.5' box). There are two boxes that I can pick, one would be 47" long and the other would be 56" long. If I get one, I only would need one of them and would put it on the driver side because that is where I cannot see the edge of bed on driver side when I am inside the truck. Also it would be right next to me when I get out of truck. Now, I am trying to decide if I need this toolbox or not. I do have extended cab but I want it to keep neat and not cluttered. I thought about using RubberMaid small plastic storage boxes to tuck under the seat. But as I am adding stuff, it is going to fill up quickly. The advantage of having a toolbox is that I can keep the truck neat, but there is a disadvantage. It would take up some of my truck bed space, not too much, but some. It will be going over the wheel well. The bed is sprayed with Rhino Liner. I would be using the bed for carrying tools, top soil, mulch, etc. Would this cause problem? I also plan on getting a heavy duty load handler. Would this also be a problem?

These are the following items that I would like to bring with me:
    Jumper Cables (maybe with bag like Bucket Boss?)
    Bungees Cords
    Hitch tube with ball
    Hitch tube with no ball
    Hitch pin
    Hitch tube pin
    Work gloves
    Safety glasses
    Snowbrush
    Tarp
    Rag towels
    A few hand tools
    Seat cover
    Flashlight w/ wand
    Flares
    Flag

These are the following items that I would like to bring but not really necessary:

Tote of hand tools
    Sockets and wrenches sets
    Chains

I am sure that I missed a few things but you should get the idea. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2002
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would consider a crossbed toolbox with one large single lid. They will hold more quanity and bulkier items then a side box. The downside is if you plan to run a spreader or need longer items then they need to be removed.

For the items you listed I would say you will definately want some kind of storage outside of the cab. Once you use jumper cables or other tools and such you will not want to put them back in your cab. A toolbox is the right place for those in a nice new truck.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WXM....Beware of mounting anything on the
    bed lips. Have read elsewhere they are
    very easy to bend etc........Gm has a support
    kit to fit under the bed rails for more support.
    I believe its free too. Call Mr dealer and ask !
    I noticed how easy mine bent from just the
    clamps that hold my tonneau cover frame.....
    I just cut down pieces of 1x4 and glued them
    underneath the bed rail to prevent
    distorsion and bend marks......geo

Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  4. johngus

johngus Senior Member

If you're interested in a cross bed tool box,I have one I'm trying to sell.It's made by snap on,is diamond plate,has one large lid and carpet inside.one of the best boxes I've seen.I'd like to get $150 for it.Let me know if interested.

5. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

I also favor the crossbed style box for my truck.I would buy an aluminium model to avoid rust.I bought my setup form highway products and am very pleased with it.

www.800toolbox.com/saddle.htm

6. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

we use 1 saddle box each truck. this allows for fuel tank across front of bed . enough room for snow blower and bagged salt in bed, or 210 gallon water tank + pump and hose. side box takes least amount of room. box is always mounted on drivers side-least obstructed view. my box contains tools, jumper cabiles, plow oil, truck oil, wd-40, rags,and other misc things. hope this helps

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I can put a transfer tank and croosbox in my Toyota and still have that much room. In my Ford I could still mount a 6ft spreader with the tank and crossbox. Of course I run large 8ft spreaders. This means that it all comes out in the winter.