1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck too low!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Just put a blizzard 8611lp on an 08 chevy dump and this truck is even lower than my 05 chevy dump with the same plow. I am going to turn the t-bars up but want to know if airbags or something else will work better than timbrens with providing height. I do have timbrens front and rear on both of my other trucks and they definately help. I don't want a lift, either.
  2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I dont knwo I have an 06 with a 10ft dump(long wheel base) and that thing set so low i had the t-bars cranked all the way and still i ended up uping the size tire from 215/85r16(stock)
    to 235/85r16 cooper atrs and it gav eme a good inches more
  3. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Try a truxx lift it is not a true lift just a adjustment of the tbar location im running it on all my chevy's it works great.
  4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'll check that out.
  5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I also run taller tires in the front, just watch for the extra sway from a taller sidewall.
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Rangerman, I found the site, but it doesn't mention anything about it being safe to use in a plow application that adds 1000lbs to the front end. How has it worked for you?
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah buy a dodge or a ford, just kidding

how about timbrens?
  8. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

The shops around here put real tall bump stops in them.. I run nothing but ford so I here them digging on the chevys about not handling a plow.. Im no digging.. You might check it out iv seen the before and after and it makes a differnce.. Granted you wont have much room between the bump stops and the frame..
  9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Plowing is the only time I wish I had the height advantage of a ford or dodge, otherwise the lower height is better all around for landscaping.
  10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

tsller bump stops is not a good idea. It does keep the truck sitting higher, and it keeps the springs from being overly stressed (tbars ,leafs)

but if your truck is running constently on the bump stops your gonna have ball joint , u joint, and all kinds of problems. the suspetion custions the blow for bothe driver, and the axle , and truck parts as well
  11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt put an 8611 into a 1ton, but with our 810 on our chev dump, we added heavier duty springs, taller tires, coil spacers and timbrens and maybe gained 2 inches or so. plus we run close to 4k in ballast. i think blizzards belong on solid axle trucks.