1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck to Truck Communication

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.R. Services, Nov 29, 2009.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

What's the best form of communication to use between trucks. CB's? What's the range on CB's? Long Range Walkie Talkies? Cells? Worth buying another line? Thanks

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

we use nextel. it works . you ?

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I use CB's, but that is all within 2 miles in a small town. On the open road, I've had up to 12 miles on the open road with a $35 Cobra CB and dual 3ft whips, but in a crowded metro area, interference can become an issue. If you choose CB's, make sure you use a channel not used by others to avoid conflict and confusion.

4. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we use cb's in the trucks/loaders when we are close enough other wise we use cell phones, i just kick the guys a couple of bucks each month for there cell bills and require that they have one to use for work. this year i am going to try some motorola hand held 2 ways for our sidewalk crews i think they will work good on our bigger commercial properties. they are rated for 35 miles CLS, im assuming it will be way less in the city.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We use morse code with our horns ;)

6. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

They have a couple of hand held walkie talkies that have a range of at least a mile out there now. I know Bass Pro has them, I was looking at them the other day, had some good reviews

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have some moto 2 ways, they go about 1 mile. thats it. Im not sure how the company gets away with putting 30-40 miles on the packaging. That won't even work if you can SEE the other person 30 miles away.

I'd like CB's, but I don't want to be that guy with a 5' whip on my roof.

8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

LOL. Good one.:)

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

My other driver and I both have blackberrys with bluetooth headsets, should work well.

10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

i have the Jawbone bluetooth which is supposed to be one of the best and all I hear is complaining from the other callers about not hearing me talk. unless there is no background noise they are nt the best. However I use it snowblowing mainly to catch incoming calls that normally I would not notice.My new 2500HD has the bluetooth built in which I will give a try this winter.

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Breaker, breaker..... Our CB's work pretty good, but we're all within a few miles of one another. So really with any device, it just depends on distance and how much you wanna pay.
    10-4;)

12. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Never used that one. I have one of these http://cobra.com/products/mobile-cb-radios/18-wx-st-ii-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather
    I bought this one for the NOAA weather radio feature.
    It's a cobra, so it's gotta be good.

One more thing..... Get your CB tuned, it's like $15 or so and well worth it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  14. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Get a CB and if you need further distance, just go on ebay and get a foot warmer (amplifier).

15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

HAHA :laughing::laughing:

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

we do like the police, we pull up to the other drivers window

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Cells work best for us.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Premier

Premier Senior Member

sounds like county workers to me, if the trucks are not moving im not making money :realmad: plus why drive around till you figure out where the other truck is that you need to talk to sounds like more wasted money to me.

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Breaker 1-9...Nextels seem to be the way to go..10-4 Good Buddy...:drinkup: