1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck tires for skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by shux, Dec 3, 2011.

1. shux

shux Junior Member
    from midwest

Has anyone run a winter truck tire on a skid for plowing? Did it work was the traction equal or less than standard skid tires?

2. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

It would have to be more like suv size and you would blow them apart every time you spin with a full bucket on asphalt. I highly doubt you would find a set that went on your bobcat rims, I doubt suv rims would have the same bolt pattern as the hubs on the bobcat, but other than that now we run all regular severe duty offset rims and tires and our regular tracks on the track loaders. I think people make a huge deal out of nothing, or we must be doing something right. Ya sometimes you have traction issues but its usually only if the lots weren't pre-treated correctly.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I never done it I dont use my skidsteer much But I know one guy runs truck tires on his Skidsteer with studs in the tire and for pushing snow works super great for a small steer he use it on walks small lots

4. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that those 'Wolf Paws' are truck tires. I wonder about something like a BFG all terrain? On the smaller frame skids I don't think it would be that much of an issue but the bigger ones might cause problems?

I just got a set of over sized tires but they are basically truck tires(245/70/19.5) and I did think they gave me more traction than regular skid tires. They also give way more speed.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you may be able to get a truck tread on a recap skidsteer tie...try bandage cappers

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

No comment, if you want my imput pm or email me ;)

7. Ranger620

Ranger620 PlowSite Veteran

I run them on my skids. The smaller frame machines take a 16" truck tire, on the larger machines I run a 22.5" tire. Faster and more traction, i wont run a skid with out them again. They usally only last me 2 to 2 1/2 years is the only down fall. A small set here in mn run abourt700 and a large set is around 1300. price is tires and rims. Once you wear out the tires just replace the tires which ran me 165 a tire for the 22.5's.

8. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

So they don't last that long? Is it the retreading or stress on sidewalls?

9. Ranger620

The tread wears out .I havent had any problems with sidewalls. Im sure truck tires arnt designrd to do 360 turns on asphalt.

10. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

This may be a dumb question, what air pressure are you running with those tires?

11. bskiball

bskiball Member

Solideal Lifemaster tires. Put on my new holland 185b with a ten foot pusher. Unstopable. the tread is really deep too. after about 100 hours on asphalt they dont even look used. good Luck

12. Ranger620

I am running 95psi which is what is says on the sidewall of the tire. I never watched the hours to see how many they lasted but I used that particular skid for everything. Just a guess but I would say 400 hrs a year so on a set I had 800-1000 hours.

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I've ran truck tires also, I haven't ran them since I've put Solideal Lifemasters on though. The truck tires may give you a little more traction but, its not very noticeable compared to the Solideals.

14. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Ditto on the solideal lifemasters. Night and day difference from std bar tires. Never used truck tires so I can't compare performance but the solideals are cheaper an and an all year tire.

15. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where did you get the soildeal lifemasters

16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

BF Goodrich all terrain TA KO with carbide studs on my A300. Kicked but. Used them all last season. There was a learning curve though. The machine no longer slid around and rapid changes in direction with lot of traction made it exciting. Came very close to putting it on its back. Few times. All in all, I would never use a skids term with regular tires again.

17. bskiball

bskiball Member

18. purpleranger519

from Kansas

19. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Pic of truck radials on a skid and a pic of the Solideals

000       loader tires.JPG

solideal-lifemaster-tires.jpg

20. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Good for mud, not ice. Look at blizzaks or any other winter specific tire. They don't have big knobs they have lot of little sipes. The life masters will only be slightly better than stock.