1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck tire rims

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plow horse, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Hey Guys how do you tell ford rims from chevy or dodge rims? I mean 8 lug truck rims. I dont mean to be stupid but I am having a moment with this one! I know I cant put my ford rims on my chevy, but is there a way to tell the differance? Like a stamp? Something??? I am looking at 2nd set of rims for dedicated snow tires. Did not know what to look for. Thanks Larry

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

DRW or SRW?

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Your going to have to measure from lug hole to lug hole

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Depending upon the style sometimes you can just tell

5. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Size and bolt pattern is the important info. Not brand. Also, backspacing can be an issue if switching to non OE wheels. Just look on Craigslist for a used set off the same type of truck you have.

6. slickmcnick

slickmcnick Junior Member

I believe the site I use to look up bolt patterns is vehicle lug patterns .com Just search that on Yahoo and it should be the first search result. tells you all the info per vehicle and a side by side comparison.

7. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

New Fords use a hub piloted wheel (since 99 I believe), GM trucks use stud piloted. The ford wheel will be flat at the lug and the gm will be raised.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You could do what I did. I went to a truck " Recycle yard " and bought 4 used rims. Had them sand blasted for $20 a piece. Used $5 worth of rattle can "Hammered" paint on each. I have $75 in each wheel and they look like new.

9. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

Look on the back side of the rims. Many times there will be a manuf logo on them. Ford stamped a lot of theirs, so did Dodge.

Be aware that some are going to be 6" wide and some 7".

10. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

A couple years ago I needed rims for a K20 I owned. Scrap yard wanted 50 bucks apiece for decent used steelies.

I called Discount Tire and they had a sale going on their MB "house-brand" wheels. Paid 75 bucks each for 4 new 16x8 alloy wheels. Gunner 8's IIRC.

Might be worth a call...

As said before - Ford switched to A Hub-piloted 8x170mm bolt-pattern in 1999.