1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck thoughts please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ernest, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Im no truck expert and we always had fords f250's.I'm looking at a 2005 chev. siverado ext.cab with 43,ooo mi. like new shape- in & out - elderly driven . It has the BIG BLK. 8.1 4.10 AXLE - whatever that means and ALLISON TRANS. FOR $ 20 K GOOD TRUCK / PRICE ?? WOULD USE FOR PLOWING AND LAWN SERVICE

2. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Well known quality truck ...
    Big Power - Big Fuel Bill -

(LS or LT ?
    My guess - overpriced - buy for $ 15-16-17 Max
    Many opinions here
    Put up on a lift. any rust on fuel lines, brake lines, tranny lines, frame ... = Beware
    Records of fluid changes ? Time for tires ? Any Warranty from dealer ?

2005 Chevrolet SILVERADO 2500 HD PICKUP-3/4 Ton-V8
    Extended Cab LS 4WD

Rough Trade-In Average Trade-In Clean Trade-In CleanRetail
    Base Price $8,250 $9,600 $10,700 $13,725
    Mileage (43,000) $3,425 $3,425 $3,425 $3,425
    Total Base Price $11,675 $13,025 $14,125 $17,150
    8.1L V8 Engine $400 $400 $400 $450
    Price with Options $12,075 $13,425 $14,525 $17,600

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005...-PICKUP-3-4-Ton-V8/Extended-Cab-LS-4WD/Values

3. ernest

ernest Member

Thanks,gas is cheap now,but for how long??? price did seem too high.Pulling a lawn trailer around for 4-6 hours a day could get expensive.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ya, Maybe a shade on the high side for the asking price, but used truck prices are all over the place right now.

If it's in excellent to above excellent shape, I'd say more in the 15k range. But again, it's a sellers market.

The good about that truck is the 8.1/allison combo. It would be a hell of a puller, and you wouldn't have to worry about motor or tranny problems.

The 8.1 is about bullet proof. It's designated as a Marine/Industrial motor. I'm on my second truck with an 8.1, and I specifically found another dump truck with that motor for the power and reliability.

The only thing you won't be doing is staying away from a gas station. If I recall in my old 01 C35000, it would average 10mpgs unloaded and 8-9 loaded.

On my 03' Kodiak that I now have, it's worse as the thing is heavier and a brick going down the road. I'm pretty sure I'm at 8mpg's all day long.

If you are planning on using it daily pulling a mow rig, I'd stay away and find something a bit more economical. I don't mind the big motor in my dump truck as it doesn't get used daily, or if it does, it's generally hauling around 4 tons, or is going to a job site and generally sitting.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. myzx6

myzx6 Member

I have a 02 Chevy 2500hd with the same power train that is also my daily driver, yes I get an average of 10mpg but I also get the same mileage totally loaded. In my opinion the power and torque of the big block is well worth the cost of fuel and the only problem you will run into is traction lol, I say try and beat them up on price, I paid $9000 2 years ago for mine with 112k miles as a comparison

6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Last one I saw with the 8.1/Allison was back in November. 2004 black Chevrolet ECSB, 2500HD LS with around 85,000 miles rust free, truck sold for $10,500 in less than 48 hrs, had a 6" lift with 35" tires.

The 8.1 is hard to come by, I've been searching for the last four years and have only come across two that sold in a day or two.

7. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Even with the low miles that is way overpriced.

I bought mine 2 years ago with 130K on it for $10K

Brake lines are the biggest thing to look for on these trucks.

8. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Where do you guys find such old GM trucks that are "rust free"? In my area they start growing rust spots and bubbling paint when they are 3-4 years old!

9. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

With gas prices the way they are now compared to 2-3 yrs ago...the guy can ask a higher price and get it. when gas price is an issue, he has to practically give it away. Personally, I think $17,000ish would be a nice price to buy it at, given it's in as good of shape as you say it is.

11. WIPensFan

That truck is not 4x4 and no Allison Trans. Makes a difference on price. It's a nice truck though.

OP, is the truck you're looking at 4wd?? I assumed it was.

12. White Gardens

Gas prices really don't have much bearing on used truck prices.

Now, new truck prices have more of a bearing on used prices than anything.

Regardless of the truck, mileage, anything else, as long as a new truck cost 60k, used prices are going to keep going up.

13. WIPensFan

I disagree, when gas is $4+/gal, it's not easy to sell Suburbans, V10 pickups and other large gas guzzling vehicles like the 8.1L Chevy big block. Compact cars and hybrids were flying out the doors. New or used.

14. White Gardens

Ya, but what you saw the last few years was a rebound of sorts due to businesses and commercial vehicle owners not buying new, thus the demand for used.

And less new trucks sold, raising the prices of them, thus raising the demand and prices of used.

I bought a truck almost 4 years ago and sold it last spring for more than I paid for it.

15. WIPensFan

Dude, it's all about gas prices, come on...

16. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I wish I could find a silverado (2005) for under 15K!

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking around on Craigslist shopping for a dump truck. I wish someone could explain why a 1999 f550 with 100k on the clock is $18,000 or why an 02 Chevy 1 ton is 23k. Flat out ridiculous Imo

18. White Gardens

Like I said, it's only going to get worse as long as new trucks are hovering in the ungodly, stupidly expensive range.

This spring, I bought an 03 Kodiak. 35k on the odometer. Came with an undertailgate salter, central hydraulics, and a 9' pro plus plow.

I was really wanting it for no more than 25k, ended up spending 29.

Though solid, super clean, minor on the rust, with an 8.1 gasser, and Allison transmission, it still needed some random work such as tires, electrical gremlins, and brake work. Along with a leaky steering box that is notorious on these trucks.

Though I thought I spent too much at 29k, I've talked to multiple people looking for bigger trucks, without the equipment, going for the same price or a shade less than what I spent.

To get the same outfitted truck, new, would of cost me in excess of 80k...:realmad: Ultimately though, I feel lucky for getting the truck for what I did seeing used truck prices steadily climbing.

At some point, all the good used trucks will be gone, everyone going to beat to death what they got, and prices for services will shoot through the roof once they have to start replacing them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  19. White Gardens

If it's about gas prices, then the lower the gas price, the higher truck prices go for the demand as we would be seeing now.

That isn't fitting though, as truck prices have continued to climb, even when gas was at 4 bucks a gallon.

It's supply and demand, cash for clunkers took tons of old vehicles off the road, making less used vehicles. People can't buy new like they used to before the economy took a dump, so more people are buying used now.

Though an older article, this explains it all.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/why-used-car-prices-will-stay-high-for-years/1#.VLiHenvVq4M

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  20. WIPensFan

I read the whole article and have no idea what it said...
    I'll agree to disagree.Thumbs Up