1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck + station wagon

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowaway, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

When did the auto makers decide to turn trucks into station wagons ?
    I have been looking for a used truck for a backup rig. It seems realy hard to find a used 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a standerd cab, rubber floor and manual window cranks.I guess everyone wants a 30 foot long four door pickup with heated leather seats. It just seems that all that made a truck a truck has gone the way of the Dodo. :cry:

Just a rant.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

On January 4 of 2008 I ordered a one ton, single rear wheel GMC regular cab, with rubber floor mats, manual transfer case, and very few options. The truck was scheduled for production, and cancelled 3 times through October of 2008, when my dealer told me that GMC was not going to produce the truck AT ALL! ended up buying one that was similar, off another lot, but it is an indication of what they are producing, and what is selling. America uses trucks as station wagons, and there are not a lot of work trucks requested or called for. WTF????

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

my friend ordered a 2008 Silverado 1500, reg cav, long bed, manual everything, and he didnt have any trouble. It may have shift-on-the-fly but thats it

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

They took 10 months to tell you the order was cancelled??? We have ordered 5 trucks from ford that were to our specs and have never had a problem... I thought that was the whole point of ordering. They are ordered in August and we have them by mid oct if we want them... we take them as late as possible though.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge is one brand that hears you load and clear. They brought back that Snow package truck. I think its called a Sno-Chief now. Cheap plow trucks just like the old ones.

[​IMG]

Talk about luxury!!!!! King Ranches got nothing on these babies!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Big Dave

That look exact to my 93 F350 XL which have rubber floor and leather grey seat.

Snowway have you look Ford XL ? it more basic truck than XLT.

7. downtoearthnh

1st cancellation came when American Axle went on strike in mid-March. No way to put the truck together. 2d cancellation came in Mid-June, when the year shift from '08 to '09 was occurring. Final cancellation in Mid-October, 2 weeks short of the guaranteed production date. The dealer shopped around and found the one I am currently driving and had it to me in 3 days. Yes, GM, I do like your products, but I can see why you are in trouble!

8. BigDave12768

call Quirk in Braintree. He has about a million Chevy trucks parked across the street from his dealer. I am sure if anyone has access to trucks its him. If you dont know who he is, He bought the Fore River Shipyard, He is like the annexx for all the dealers cars. They come off Ship and sit in his lot untill dealers need new cars. Plus he is a Fisher Dealer and his shop is in the Shipyard.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Since when do Dodge trucks look "exact" like a Ford???? :dizzy: :jester: :dizzy:

10. downtoearthnh

Like I said, I got a 3500HD GMC diesel, which is what I wanted, and there was a silver lining. The list on the truck was 42K and I got it for 29K. I was happy, at least, with that part of the story!

11. BigDave12768

Wow yours has leather!!!! When I had my old Dodge it had hard Vinyl plastic type seat!!:jester:

12. BigDave12768

In 1999 Model year!!!

13. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I have a 05 Chev reg cab with the 8.1, rubber floors, loaded else wise. Manual transfer case too. Forget the 4 door limo for work.

14. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I wish chevy still offered the 8.1. I have a new 6.0 and wish it was more powerful.

15. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Ford is actually the only company that actually offers manual 4 wheel drive with the manual hubs & shifter.

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Why you drop'n facts in here Tim?:jester:

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He just had to get his ford comment in somehow.

And I've never seen a work truck with the basic interior with leather seats, that's really got to be a custom order. :D

Manual hubs is all nice and stuff, but its way nicer to just reach down and put it in 4x4 instead of getting out once your getting stuck and running around the truck to lock the hubs in.

18. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

True but with manual hubs you never have to worry about hubs not locking in. Which I've had happen on my dad's truck. Stupid transfer case locked in, but the axle/hubs did not.

My dad's friend has a '97 F-250 SuperDuty Diesel. It and my '81 K20 both have locking hubs.

No complaints on either.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

On an ESOF truck you can manually lock the hubs too.
    And yes Indy....Mil needs to be corrected when he is WRONG.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I hate to point this out, but the truck companys are only making what sells and based on the number of plow trucks on here that are club cab, crew cab, and Mega cab (lots of posts recently regarding plowing with them, remember?) That's what everyone wants... except a small handful of us.