1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck starting during dual battery install WT%

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Oct 7, 2010.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Don't ask me how but just finished install 2nd battery in 2002 2500hd. While connecting the negative terminal heard a whir /fuel pump?/ and truck started no key in ignition. Tools flying everywhere and me going holy sh#$%. This could have been kinda ugly. I put key in truck and for some reason turned ignition to start heard a crunch went sh#$ again. Ok lets see what happens when I try to drive away. Engine dies. So much for stealing gmc trucks the easy way. Start truck and test drive all seems ok and cannot find any electrical problems anywhere. Oh well needed my arteries cleaned out anyway.
    Any ideas on this one guys?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's an aftermaket remote starter on it whether you were aware of it or not. When you disconnect/reconnect battery power on a vehicle with a remote starter it will usually command a start as soon as you do....usually scaring the #@&* out of an unsuspecting person. :D

Need to dig around under the dash and find the remote module.

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If you cant find the module or need to work on it before you do, at least pull your fuel relay or main bus so it doesnt accidently start on you.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What years had the remote start??????
    Where under the dash would you find it and what does it look like????

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

This one is aftermarket as its a 2002 and yours being a 2001 would be also.GM didn't start offering them as a GM option until somewhere around 2007.I'm glad the Astrostart[mine] doesn't do this as I just disconnected and reconnected my batteries with no problems.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Check under the dash by the steering column. I bet you see a small black plastic box with a couple wiring looms coming out of it. That's the remote start/alarm. There are a million brands, but odds are good its a UTI (aka Viper).

My 2000 had one in it when I bought it used. About a month after I brought it home the alarm starting going off in the middle of the night...even when I didn't arm it. Had to rip it out so I've been using the key to lock and unlock the door and have to use the key inside the truck like an idiot if I want to start it. I feel so dirty.