1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck spit motor out oil and will only turn left?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by coreyod21, Dec 26, 2012.

1. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Here's the story. This was my first year ever plowing. I have a 97 Silverado with the 5.7 motor. I was turning into a drive and had the steering lock up when I only turned right. I backed out and switched it back to 2 wheel drive. Needless to say after it disengaged I can steer both ways again. So I hurried to the parts store I figured it was the drivers side CV joint and was going to hurry and fix it . At the parts store I wanted to try 4x4 again just to check again. Like before the steering locked up when trying to turn right. Then out of no where I smell motor oil and seen smoke so I looked and there was oil all over in the snow.I checked and the engine was completely drained of all oil. This was in the matter of seconds. After calling a tow and just getting home from my first try at plowing Im searching for answers. I would like to fix this before the next storm. Please any help im stumped. Don't think the turning problem had anything to do with the oil. I need any suggestions on where to start please. Thanks in advanced.

2. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

also when the truck spilled out all the oil I didn't hear any knocking or odd noises like a bang or anything and truck ran only briefly because I turned it off as soon as I seen the oil leaking. Any suggestions? I believe the turning problem is just a cv joint correct me if im wrong but where can the oil leaking be coming from?

3. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you sure it's engine oil that sprayed everywhere, and when you were trying to turn with it locking up you didn't blow a pressure line coming off your power steering pump?

4. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Like abbottfarm said, that sound like the pressure blew a steering line. That could very well be steering fluid instead of oil. Is it possible the truck was already low on oil?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did the oil cooler hoses get bound up, and by turning you cut the hose??
    did you verify where the leak was coming from??

6. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

the first thing I checked was the power steering fluid and the Trans fluid.they looked full. The oil was dry. I always check my fluids the engine only has 130k and ran with fully synthetic so doesn't burn or leak prior to this. I checked the snow and I'm positive it's motor oil. where ever the leak is it would have to be high pressure because I was at idle and in a matter of seconds all the oil was gone. where exactly is the oil lines? Would they be in the front tired into the radiator?

7. dieselss

Yes. They go from the drivers side area along the oil pan, and up to the radiator.

8. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

I'm going to crawl under the truck asap and check. The lines are the only thing I can think of I just don't see how they could of got pinched

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Trying to understand how cv axles would keep the truck from turning.

10. dieselss

2. It is possible. Slight,, but it they break internally just right they could get jammed. Now is it a one in a million sure

11. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

I'm not sure if it even is the CV axle. I was just thinking that it somehow jammed up. I'm no shop mechanic but I'm a young backyard mechanic I'm by far no expert so please tell me what you think it is?

12. dieselss

Well worry about the oil leak first...lines, or the filter adaptor if its got one

13. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

It was also making a clunk noise when I would just take off and vibrate the truck slightly as I accelerate faster. I original thought it was the front universal joint but then I developed the turning problem

14. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

now that you mentioned filter adopter from what I was able to see last night it looked wet around that area. What could be wrong with the adapter?

15. dieselss

They leak. The o-ring goes bad.

16. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

It was also making a clunk noise when I would just take off and vibrate the truck slightly as I accelerate faster. I original thought it was the front universal joint but then I developed the turning problem

17. dieselss

Not alot I can say on.that to many guesses to try without feeling it, hearing it , shaking stuff down. I would say get the oil leak fixed first,,then maybe take the tk in. My .02

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Definitively check the oil cooler lines.

Had mine rot out on my 8.1 and dropped about half it's oil until I shut it off.

No damage that I know of and still chugging along.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If that was directed to me, why would steering change from 2wd to 4wd?

20. dieselss

I thought he said its still doing it in 2wd? Did I missread something