1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Snow Blower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i have seen a few truck snow blowers, front mounted, independent dual stage engine...think they would be worth it at all? i'm talking strictly residential driveways...in kansas we usually don't get 8" + snows, except for last year...obviously the first thing i thought of was not enough power but in my situation with mostly 2-6" snows could it be of value? the few i found online are 690 CC's and 27-38 HP...the fact that you are in your truck and dont' really have to do sh!t makes it intriguing...would they clean down to pavement if the drive hasn't been driven on yet?

the other option is a plow, i just hate having to drive over the snow (packing it down) to pull it out, then you have to put it somewhere and not every situation is that easy...the walkbehind snowblowers that we use (single and dual stage) have a very clean sweep when we are done, you can basically see 100% pavement eliminating the need for salt...

seems like tractor or skid steer snow blowers are the best/cleanest and most efficient way of clearing resi drives, would this even compare to a low hp tractor/bobcat?...any input would be appreciated
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I can't give personal experience, but this comes up regularly (if you do a search, you will find plenty), and the general consensus is that they're grossly underpowered. Do a search on youtube and you will find an amazing blower fabbed by Jerresservice that has a tractor motor on the back of a flatbed running a modified skid blower on the front of an F350. Best guesses on that setup if you pieced it together yourself would be $20k+.