1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Sliding After Parked

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by FisheRam, Mar 5, 2012.

1. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

The last "storm" we had here in New England I went to park my truck in my driveway. As I'm stepping out with one foot one the ground, the whole truck starts sliding backwards down my driveway! At first I thought I must have not put the truck in park or something because it all happened so fast, but thankfully I was able to dive back in and pump the brake with my hand. Unfortunetely my door had caught some bushes during the slide since it was still open. It was pulled open much farther than it's supposed to be. Now, its more difficult to shut and opens up a bit further then it is supposed to. It also seems like it may not sit just right since it pops out a little up top. I was lucky to get the truck to a stop before it went any further though, since theres a steep incline/drop off another 25ft away. The truck slid a little more than a full truck length in all. :dizzy:

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sprung the door...thats what we call it up here anyways. That really sucks, I have heard of that happening when parking on icy hills.

3. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

Yeah it was a real shocker for me. I'll definintely be using more sand and salt from now on!

And thanks for letting me know it's called a sprung door. I was able to do a little search and it looks like I might be able to fix this fairly easily myself using a 2x4 method. Shutting it carefully on a piece of wood helps bend it back into place

4. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Warm Tires vs. Cold Icy steep driveway = sliding

5. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

sno-way and DP FTW! :D

Never have an issue. That sucks man, sorry to hear that :(

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Cold tires on black ice on a steep driveway= same thing Mr. fellow Mid Hudson Valley man.:D

7. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

I've heard good things about the down pressure. I had actually already taken the plow off for the night, and was back from testing out the drive for the wife and tenant who leave before me in the mornings. Everything seemed OK until i parked! Spent the next hour sand salting the whole thing. At least my door still shuts so it could be worse. It's also a good thing it happened to me and not them, and that I didn't slip under the truck! I was sliding backwards and the two fronts were rolling, could have been bad. This driveway has been hell though, I've had to drop the plow a few times on the way down as an E-brake. Even worse is it opens up to a highway! :help: When we eventually move, no more steep driveways for this guy