1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck sizes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Dec 8, 2007.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I am looking for my first truck and my summer job along with lawn mowing, dont allow for too much in the budget. Ihave two trucks I am looking at, here they are with info, what size plow can they handle, and advive welcome. Both trucks are in great condition on the ext. but I want input before I go check them out.

1992 GMC Sierra C/K 1500 4x4 192,000 miles asking 2999 for it.
    1992 Ford F-150 302 4spd 4x4 112,000 miles asking 1900 for it. the Ford also has 3" lift

Any advice on how well they would be for plowing and if they seem like good deals. I am trying to go see them but will probly not be able to till after Christmas.

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

welcome and good luck.

are they reg cab? ext? long bed? short? auto? stick?

GMC pros-dosent have a lift, easy to get parts, good truck, the bad high miles.

Ford pros well its a Ford, less miles, but the bad is the lift i think.

you just have to really look them over and see if they were taken care of. the ford has less miles but has a lift and may have not been taken care of while the 200K gmc may be in great shape.

why just a 1/2 ton if your going to be usng it for work all year. a 3/4 ton will do much better. and you can still find a good priced one if you look.

for the budget range your in try and find one that was a one or two owner and used little or none for plowing.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I am a Ford guy more than a Chevy guy, but I think I'd go with the Chevy here. I'm assuming it's automatic and the Ford is a manual 4 speed (didn't know 4 speeds were available for that year). For a beginner I'd recommend an automatic. I plowed driveways with a manual 5 speed in a F250 w/ a 6 cylinder. It pushed snow like a bear, but the manual added so much more work after a while. You will probably find a mount/plow for the Chevy easier than that year Ford. Pics would help on judging price, but the Chevy could maybe come down a couple hundred bucks. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Both are regular cab and regular box size. The ford is a 4 speed, and the GNC is a auto. Here are the pics. What do you think about pushing snow? would they handle an 8 foot plow, possibly a V plow if they stick around for a year or two?

Ford.jpg

redGMC.jpg

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd go with the Chevy and at most a 7.5' plow. Have fun.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Found this on website of local used car dealer I copy pasted the info and there is also a picture? What do you think?

BUY IT NOW PRICE: $1500
    YEAR: 1992
    MAKE: CHEVROLET
    MODEL: K2500 SILVERADO 4X4
    VIN: 1GCFK24K1NE177579
    MOTOR: Road Tested
    TRANY: Road Tested
    MILEAGE: 185038
    NOTES 1: Automatic, 350 engine, 4X4, Power windows and locks, Great for hauling all the stuff, Good Plow truck or sanding truck, Great Utility truck and the 2500 is heavy duty, Tabs good

plowtruck.jpg

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for the oringinal 2 in get the gmc and put a str8 blade on it. i dont think a V will do well bc of the wieght and short wheel base.

if the K2500 is in ok shape and not rusted out or been used as a plow truck its whole life it might be a good deal.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Personaly I would go with the Ford. With 80,000 less miles...it's almost a no brainer. There both 1/2 tons, so they won't be your best plow truck out there, but either one should handle a 7 1/2 foot plow no problem. An 8 footer might be pushing it a bit. About the manual tranny, yea that kinda sux but I know a few guys that plow with manuals that learned that way, and don't have any problem with it.

9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I agree with this if you already know how to drive stick. If not go with the GMC. Good luck!

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would keep on looking. The Ford is a manual which would get old real fast and if its a 302 its gutless. The GMC has high miles plus seems high on price. To top it off they are both 1/2tons. I understand you are on a budget but I think there is something out there that will work better for you.

GM builds a great truck. Even if you could find a 2500 6-lug truck, better than a true 1/2 ton. I had one last year with a 8' western on it, paid $1800 I think.

IMO keep looking.

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thanks for all the input, I do think I will keep looking, but what about this truck in my second post. No input on it yet, how would it be it has a brush guard so probly never plowed. This is a 2500 and is about what I am looking for. how is it? Scroll up for the pic, its the third pic, the maroon one.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I went to the dealer today and checked out the maroon 2500. It isnt good enough for a plow but I think I will wait 2 yrs to plow so I can have my commercial licsense. But it is a nice truck. Drove it around the lot and it runs good. only problem is a little hard to get iinto 4x4. Yoo kind of have to force it but my friend can check that out and either way I will be in 2wd most of the time since I would not use it for plowing. Think I will try and buy it. Just need dad to go Ok the truck one day.

13. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well good luck but if your having trouble with it before you buy it. well...............

your young and thats fine. i ahve been there and you think you need it right now. if you do thats fine. but you just might find a better deal if you look around a bit.

14. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

If your not gonna plow with them id get either of the first two,better looking trucks.if you did decide to plow later they would take a lighter plow fine.

15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would probably go with the 2500. The GMC 1500's plow fine, but the trannys in them had problems. They have a valve or something in them that makes them shift hard after highway trips. The ford is not a bad truck, but if you do hang a plow off it, the shifting will get tiresome real quick, not to mention added abuse to a clutch.

185k on a 350 isnt that bad, my 97 has 185k on it now and still runs great. Just my .02

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

So dad went and checked out the 2500, lets just say I wont be getting it. He says to wait for something else. HE NEVER EVEN GOT IN THE TRUCK! I asked why he said no, and he said the tires were bad. My friend can get me newer tires $10 a piece, he gave my friend some free winter tires. Anyway, he thinks its a bad truck, then again he thought the brush guard was a plow mount. Cant disagree with him though, because it will be in his name. I am not real upset, because I know something else will come up, but this makes two trucks I have not bought, in part because of my dad ( the last one was a parted together 85ish F-350 with F-250 cab and duals, thing was a beast, but I called the deal off that I had with the owner ). I think the 1500 is overpriced and I decided not on the Ford. Guess I will start over with my search, oh well, I'll wait till after Christmas. Thanks for all the help anyway.