1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forgop, Jan 16, 2005.

1. forgop

forgop Junior Member

I was wondering if something like a Jeep Cherokee with a V6 and 4x4 would be too small to put any serious consideration into plowing snow. I'm looking to buy my first truck sometime this year in anticipate plowing for next winter, but would this be feasible? I was just thinking that having a Cherokee would give me more use as more of a family vehicle during other times as well. Thanks!!!
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It all depends on what you want to plow with it. They are real light weight with a not to good of a frame for plowing commercially.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have an F350 (8' X-Blade) for work and a Jimmy (6'8" MM) for my driveway!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Here is my "fleet":

4 Plows 2.jpg
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

An extended cab pickup could do the trick too.A cap would take cargo and stuff.
    I do believe the Jeep is a unibody design,they are not recommended for plow duty other then light usage.
  6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

C'mon guys give these little Jeeps a little credit! First of all NO jeeps do not have a unitized frame. As a matter of fact they are one of the few that do have a full frame under them.
    I just installed a Meyers 6 meter poly blade on our '98 Jeep Cherokee this past Fall. I put on a E60 pump that I had from a previous plow and boy is it fast!
    As far as Hp goes well, the Jeep w/ the 4.0L runs 190Hp. Our Isuzu cabover w/ the 10ft Western on it only has 135 Hp (Diesel) and it does fine w/ a much bigger plow.
    I plowed a driveway or 2 w/ this little Jeep and (b/c its normally run by someone else) its great FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE! We all know that plowing is purely a matter of pitting how much you can push to how much wieght/power/traction you have to push it.
    What I figure I have into setting the plow up is:
    $120.00 headlight kit
    $600.00 for upper and lower lift frame (Its a Meyers EZ mount system)
    $000.00 for the pump
    $150.00 for a used 6M poly blade
    $300.00 to my mechanic (he installed the lift frame and did all the wiring)
    So, for $1170 I have a heck of a plow. The lift frame could have been cheaper but they are Genuine Meyers and bolted up very clean to the frame and looks good in the off season. The original bumper is back on the vehicle w/o being chopped up. The only thing missing is the lower air damn. (seems to hold a steady temp. w/o it anyhow)
    So, I would like to reitterate (sp?) the Jeep will be fine IF all you want to do is driveways, very small commercial, maybe even sidewalks b/c thats what our county used for years, and maybe clean-up work if have a supervisor that has to chase around during a storm touching up behind your normal crews. I'd also like to mention the hatchback is good too, you lay down the back seat a can put in 5-6 bags of salt (50lbers.)for sidewalks and a smaller 2 cycle snowblower easily.
    Bottom line: Don't sell the Jeep short and remember, 4 x4's get stuck too.
  7. new2it

new2it Member

8. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

In Answering your Question? theres some Data missing! a Jeep sta wagon--daily driver?--just plowing your Own yard?--OK!--or Plowing others?--now a problem? arrises? what IF? your Jeep goes BANG?--is It your only Vehicle? what about getting to Work?--if You don*t have another Vehicle?--I think your Idea! of a JEEP Sta Wagon for a Dual purpose Vehicle is a Great Idea!--w/just Plowing your Own Yard!--but NO! on Plowing others!--# One! its Used!--No pun Intended!--I have had many Jeeps & their One Tough Unit--but--plowing others is another Problem! I*D get a Heavyer 4X4 Truck if it was ME! in referance to Plowing Others!--as Sooner? or Later? even NEW they Do Go BANG!--My Opinion!--Ole JIM--
  9. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Isuzu Cabover

I would think that comparing that Isuzu and the Jeep would be a bad idea. Like apples to oranges. That Isuzu dieselprobably has more torque than that jeep could even dream about. The torque would be what pushes the snow in that truck.

My Mack semi tractor has 350 HP and 1500 lb ft of torque! 1500 lbs at 1500 rpms.!

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, compaiing the Isuzu and the Jeep are not even close. Diesel engines are all torque- gas aren't- so the same HP means nothing. My Dodge Cummins has only 180HP but I have 480Ft Lbs of torque at 1800rpm- that makes all the difference in the world for pushing a load of snow- plus the whole truck is designed to be worked.

Now, remember the Jeep cherokee is a grocery getter, not a truck. Never was a truck, never will be a truck. (Has 4wd- so do many cars) The Isuzu IS a truck and meant for truck use. Transmissions are totally different too- very important.

Bottom line is Cherokee COULD be useful for a 6.5 Ft Lightweight plow for personal use only- but you will find it's limitations fast trying to make any money with it. If you want to compare it to anything you have to stay in it's class- trailblazer (s10/s15), Trooper, explorer, forerunner, pathfinder, etc.