1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terraventure, Feb 9, 2004.

1. terraventure

terraventure Member

What is everyone running for pickups. I will be purchasing a new pickup soon and I want an extra cab or a crew cab. Could you post a picture with your setup. how do you like plowing with an extended cab or crew cab. Also does anyone plow with a rear plow on their truck?

2. H & L Imp

H & L Imp Junior Member

I run an F250 super cab Triton V10 with a Western 8.5' Proplow and love it. Plenty of power. It's a little long, I have the 8' bed so the turning radious is rather large. I wouldn't want to try a crew cab with the 8' bed.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a 99 F250 Superduty, Powerstroke deisel with ext. cab and 8' box and 7 1/2ft. Boss straight blade. Yes it's long but the 8' box comes in handy. I've got pics. under the thread "finally able to post pictures of my rig" in the pictures forum.:waving:

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

here some pics. http://community.webshots.com/user/fbronco72 I have a f 350 super cab short box, with a boss v plow. It is alittle long but i needed interior storage. A crew cab doesn't add much length though. A longer truck means you hold your breath more in tight areas. :D :D

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

04 Superduty

This may be a dumb question but is that your truck in the link? If so, nice ride!:nod: :waving:

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah its my truck boss .thanks. I love the thing, and the bank reminds me every month how much i love it. :D :D

7. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i run a 2000 F-350 supercab powerstroke with 8' bed and 8' western pro i love the truck 04 superduty i like those lights you added i might do something along those lines, but i think thats after i get a spreader and linex liner

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

This is what I found out when I shopped between Chevy/GMC and Ford between the extended and crew cabs.

The extended cab Ford couldn't fit my child's car seat in the back. However, the extended cab Chevy could fit that and two average size adults fairly comfortable. I mean not for a cross country trip but a few hours would be fine.

Now, the Ford crew cab was a different story. It seemed much roomier when compared to the Chevy crew cab. However, the Ford folded as one big bench. The Chevy/GMC offers a 40/60 split. So it is possible to sit a person or two in the rear of the cab with extra storage on the opposite end. One of our trucks has this and it has come in handy a few times for stuff that couldn't go in the bed but we needed to sit a third person (it has bucket seats).

I went ahead with the Chevy extended cab cause it can fit the child seat in a bind, two adults fairly comfortably, and I plan on putting a tailgate spreader on it for next year. I didn't like the idea of the length and turning radius with a tailgate spreader on a crew cab.

Just my opinions.:waving:

9. H & L Imp

H & L Imp Junior Member

Extended ford

My 2002 F250 super cab fits 2 car seats in the back with no problem and it is a 80/20 split works out great.

10. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

go big or go home

I run a Chevy dually with a Blizzard 8-10 I love my truck how can you go wrong diesel dually and stick all the power and the room you need. Crew cabs are to long and you run into front end trouble some manufactures say you cant run plows on them.

short cabs are for sissys

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

This is the almighty money maker baby !!! payup :nod:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  12. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Always have liked the look of your truck Eyesell. Needs a different engine badge though, one that's on the door...

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im going reg cab full size i dont need an extra cab

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I know, I know, getting new one in January and you can bet it will be 6.0.

this one will be forsale in January, if there are any takers ???

15. apkole

apkole Member

Eyesell,

If'n it was me, I would give that 6.0 another year before investing money in it. Check out the dieselstop web site for more info. Yeah, it may be all warranty, but that won't help you when the truck goes down during a snow storm. I figure ford will get it all put right eventually, but wouldn't want to be left hanging while they scratch their heads.

Andy

16. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I would second this. I am a Ford 7.3 liter powerstroke owner that is looking for a new truck. The 6.0 is still working out some bugs and is getting better but no long term runners yet. No one on the 7.3 liter web sites wants to trade up and most are holding out because they are serious diesel owners that work their trucks hard and for 200-300k miles.

GMC Duramax is to new and no hardcore diesel owner recommends that either.

Dodge has the new high output Cummins that I am looking into. Just my personal thoughts as I most likely will get that with a crew cab and 8' bed. Will be plowing small personally managed lots. Will not be the "ultimate" plow truck but will work and will have the interior room I need in the summer.... The ford crew cab I have now is too big, and the Dodge crew cab saves me about 4-5 feet compared to the Ford...

Also to help answer the original question check out what my research has found between the Dodge and Ford (GM is just out of the question because of the diesel being to new) Dodge crew cab 8' (they no longer make an extended cab) is 249.9 inches and the Ford Extended Cab with 8' 247.6.... So if I go Dodge I get a crew cab for the same length and a better turning radius from what I understand.

just my $.02

17. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

That makes sense Jonny V. I don't own a diesel, but I spend plenty of time on the dieselstop, and I too am not convinced of the new 6.0. The 7.3 is proven, and I will be looking for a used one in a year or so...

18. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

join the club, im going nuts trying to find an 02 or 03 f-350 with low miles and the 7.3.. a friend of mine just got the lemon law on his 6.0 and another friend is one more visit away....

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

not trying to flame but what part of the duramax do you believe needs to be proven? What parts of the motors/injection are you leary of?

I'm not a blind GM lover for the record. I will go with what ever fits my needs the best.....GM has just always done it in the past.

BTW when I bought my 03 if I had the choice between a Chevy and a ford with a 7.3 it might have been more of a chioce because the 7.3's are some proven motors even if they dont put out the numbers of the newer diesels but the 6.0 just gave me the willys. Do love my Duramax though, and if given the choice between it and a 7.3 now I would pick it.

20. apkole

apkole Member

Ratlover,

The Duramax does not have the length of history (years and miles) that the Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke do. Not saying the reliability or length of service won't be there, but I don't have time to be a manufacturer's product tester. Again, even if it's under warranty, it's still out of service and costing me in inconvenience and money. I'm inclined to let these trucks get about 4 to 5 years under their belts, then make the purchase decision. My customers don't understand, "broken plow truck being fixed under warranty." All they know is driveway or parking lot not plowed on time.

Andy

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004